Our Brains and Recovery

Since beginning my sobriety journey, I’ve been researching the “why’s” of my addiction, teaching myself new methods for a healthier lifestyle, and learning how trauma has played a huge role in my life and my behavior.

Medical science has told us for decades that our brains are no longer capable of generating new neural connections past our mid-20’s. I’ve always found that theory to be extremely depressing. Thankfully, more recent research is telling a new story and offering hope for those of us who have an open mind-set towards growth. We can re-wire our brains through movement, mindfulness, and learning. I’m not going to recreate the wheel here, but I want to share some links to get you started. I feel that learning about the reality of neuroplasticity in adulthood can be an important catalyst for change, especially when we’re taking in all the self-help options available out there for us.

I’m changing the name of this thread from Neuroplasticity and Recovery to Our Brains and Recovery. As I read and learn more, I’m finding that our brains are much too large to speak of only in terms of neuroplasticity. There’s so much more we can discuss here. If anyone has more information to offer, it would be sincerely appreciated. I wish you all the very best. :slightly_smiling_face::green_heart:

47 Likes

I’ve definitely a keen interest in this and shall follow this thread with interest. I’m going to keep an eye out for any articles/videos of note.

1 Like

Thank you, Stephanie. :slightly_smiling_face: As it relates to our addictions, when new neural pathways are formed in our brain, we’re able to break free from destructive behaviors and unhealthy patterns to live a more conscious life. It’s fascinating to me and brings me hope.

6 Likes

Really interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Fascinating

1 Like

You’re welcome. I don’t believe in age limitations, either. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is really good stuff. Thank you for posting it. Have you looked into Joe Dispenza’s work? If not, you might find some of it interesting.

3 Likes

No, I haven’t, but I just found his website. Bookmarking it. Thanks for sharing. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks!! I’m following this. :+1::brain:

2 Likes

Awesome that you’ve come across this too. I’ve done my share of research on this, gives a lot of insight into how our brains actually work… It’s just a question of our brain’s ‘neuro pathways’ being created/dismantled much like roads or waterways are, the more a certain dopamine pathway is used, the larger it grows (supply and demand), the less it’s used, the more it simply overgrows and is redirected so to speak… People’s brains can look physically different after long enough differences in behaviour, as different parts are used more in the one or other area. But unless you’re dead, they’re always changeable and flexible depending on persistence! It only very gradually becomes more difficult to change with time, but there’s no limit at all in theory.

Really awesome thread!

For those of you interested, look up rewiring the brain on youtube too!! :hugs:

5 Likes

I’m fascinated by the brain and truly grateful to know that it remains malleable until death. Until I can re-train my brain with new ways of thinking and new ways of coping with trauma and anxiety, I believe my sobriety journey will be difficult. At this point, it’s not even about wanting to drink. It’s about the anxiety, the not knowing how to deal with certain emotions, not knowing how to cope with my childhood trauma… I know I need help. I also know that when I set my mind to it, I can totally do this.

I’m so happy you’re here, Sven. :hugs::purple_heart:

3 Likes

After looking over a lot of book reviews, I’m going to start with this one. I ordered it today and will review it here once I’m finished. If you’ve already read it, hopefully you’ll share what you think of it. :slightly_smiling_face:

The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma https://www.amazon.com/dp/0143127748/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_DF0D0YVMMFR2YS4KBENT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

4 Likes

When it comes to learning new whatevers, I try to ignore everything outside of the learning itself. Less distractions, more focus, better results. My brain is what it is at 43 years old, after the abuse I’ve put it through.

How is it going? Fucking awesome! I’ve learned more about life, myself, new skills, etc. in the last few years than in almost all my earlier life.

I remember a professor in college stating artists always did their best work before 30. I always thought that was a shit excuse for being lazy and to make himself feel better about his own work after 30 being shit. Good riddence.

So we do our best, and do what we can with what we have. Does that mean our brains are neuroplasticly able as decaying adults? Do we need to worry about it? I don’t know.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear! Thanks so much for your thoughts. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I could honestly relate to pretty much everything you wrote there, as if my own thoughts! And likewise!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@1in8billion :hugs::relaxed:

@liv_m Will do, Mel. :blush:

2 Likes

I forgot that I had started reading this. Thanks for the reminder, I shall get back to it

1 Like

Coincidentally, I just very recently have acquired a interest, and/or intrigue, in doing something about muh dang brains, and my confidence. I’m liking this fellow Jim Kwik on YouTube and he has a book called “Limitless: Upgrade Your Brain, Learn Anything Faster, and Unlock Your Exceptional Life“ and also Jill Bolte Taylor’s book “ Whole Brain Living: The Anatomy of Choice and the Four Characters That Drive Our Life”. She says that each hemisphere has both an emotional brain and a thinking brain, so we have four distinct modules of cells as four characters that make up who we are: Character 1, Left Thinking; Character 2, Left Emotion; Character 3, Right Emotion; and Character 4, Right Thinking. So she suggests a practice she calls the BRAIN Huddle—which is a tool designed to bring our Four Characters into conversation with one another, so we each have the power to tap into each of our Four Characters strengths, leaving us with the power to choose which character we would like to one embody in any situation.
She talks about addiction as being from character #2, left emotion.
Anyway, that’s my two cents.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing, Jack. I’m really thankful for your two cents! :blush: I’m going to look into both of these sources. I’m going through books like a kid with candy right now, so I appreciate the heads up on these.

1 Like

Did you know we have a “second brain”? The enteric nervous system is a complex, mesh-like network of nerve cells that line the gut wall. Much like the neurons in our brain, this system of cells is in constant communication with various regions of our body, instructing those areas on when to release hormones and chemicals.

The nearly 500 million neurons in our gut talk directly with our brain, using a pathway called the gut-brain axis. The signals going back and forth along this pathway tell us when we’re hungry, what nutrients we need, how we feel emotionally, and more. The microbes in our gut actually influence our reality. Think about the butterflies we get in our stomach when having to do something that makes us uncomfortable. Our emotional state literally makes us feel sick to our stomach. That’s because 90% of the “happy hormone” serotonin is made in our gut.

This example of the mind-body connection is a great way to learn the how’s and why’s of our addictions. Our bodies speak loudly to us through the gut-brain axis. We just need to pay close attention.

11 Likes