Out and about

Anybody else find it hard to stay away from ‘wet’ places?.. as they call it lol
Alcohol is served everywhere … I still want to enjoy my life but the temptations are everywhere :triumph:

5 Likes

It’s about changing ourselves, not trying to set up a completely safe environment.

At the same time, I avoid places like bars whose main purpose or sole purpose is alcoho consumption.

5 Likes

Some places to hang out where booze is unlikely…

Cafe
Museums
Galleries
Antique shops
Cinema
Arcade
Crazy golf
Inflatable assault course
Gym
Yoga studio
Meditation centre
Nature (walk, run, cycle)
As a volunteer helping out a cause you care about

And places where they have activities you can get involved in…

Library
Community centre
Charities for mental health, addiction etc (or any other health complaints)
Evening courses

A few suggestions off the top of my head :hugs:

8 Likes

I understand. When I first went on this journey, I hung out with the work gang at bars, restaurants and their homes where drinking was the choice activity. It was uncomfortable, it was awkward, I might even say it was agony.

I was trying to maintain my lifestyle, just without drinking, and I was failing, miserably.

It took an 4 month relapse to realize what I needed to do. I needed to change my relationship with alcohol. Instead of it being something I desired, as I did before, I was repulsed by it. Instead of seeing it as a friend, I learned to see it as an enemy.

I finally saw that alcohol was not only the cause of a lot of my problems, but also a barrier to resolving all of my problems.

I knew that in order to move on, I had to kick alcohol to the curb like the toxic scum bag pseudo friend it was.

Since then, I have never looked back. Living life in the real world, where alcohol is present, is no longer agony. Now, I’m not just surviving, I’m thriving.

I think changing your relationship with alcohol is key to happy sobriety!!

Wish you luck!

10 Likes

It’s a challenge to be sure. If I go to a restaurant that has a bar I ask for a seat away from the bar. I don’t got to bars at all. There’s nothing there for me but failure. Banquets or trade shows I do the same thing. Avoid the bar and sit as far from it as possible. I have a plan for what I’ll order and how I’ll respond to questions.

2 Likes

Yeah it felt ike it was everywhere when I first quit.
For me, in the beginning, I changed all my habits that I associated with alcohol including people, places and things. I refused to play with fire and avoided them until I felt stronger in my recovery and then slowly reintroduced myself back into some of those surroundings.
I found however that after quitting, many of those places no longer interested me and I enjoyed doing and discovering things that weren’t around alcohol more :raised_hands:t3:

4 Likes

Omg thanks so much for the suggestions :two_hearts:! It’s just difficult for me as I enjoy trying new restaurants out but that environment isn’t safe for me anymore … :disappointed:

2 Likes

Maybe try a meeting get new sober friends wish you well

1 Like

Just because it isn’t for you right now doesn’t mean it never will be!

It won’t always be like this… But while it is, might as well find some different ways to have fun. You never know, some of them might stick :slight_smile:

1 Like