Over 40 years of drinking is enough for this lifetime

So besides not drinking and being involved here what other sober plans/support services or other healthy life connections are you looking at doing to fill the time you used to fill with drinking & smoking?

3 Likes

I’m attending AA meetings and reading up on all the sobriety literature I can. I’m also looking for sobriety podcasts. If you know of any please send them my way. I also am here. And then I go back to college in 2 weeks. I was a college drop out from being drunk the whole time, so I’m giving it another go.

5 Likes

I haven’t personally listened but this podcast has been recommended a few times:

Also, you may find this thread useful:

3 Likes

You can do it!!!:pray:

1 Like

I bookmarked ‘What’s YOUR plan?’ earlier when I came across it. I read it and I felt encouraged. I’ll dip into it for sure going forward. Thanks for the podcast.

2 Likes

Welcome Billy :wave:
45 years of drinking here.

I downloaded this app 01/02/2020
And I am proud to say I haven’t had a drink since. I’m very active on here and this place keeps me sober.

Fat drunk and hungover was no way to go through my bronze years.

I spend most of my time on the gratitude thread each morning posting my gratitude and reading others. I retrained my brain.
https://talkingsober.com/t/daily-gratitude-the-air-of-recovery-7/

Now I’m go to AA meetings now too.

I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

4 Likes

Good to hear man. AA is solid, I feel, but whatever it takes to stay the course is different for each.

I like the AA “koolaid” as I call it. And, I sip on some daily and have had no trips, slips or relapses. It saved my ass.

We find what works and we work it! See ya around, Billy.

5 Likes

I like to listen to AA Speakers.
Of course they got an app for that too.

2 Likes

You do have a choice! And you’re making the best one possible. Congratulations on your sobriety and keep up the fight!

1 Like

Hi Eric,

It’s still very much early days for me and my sobriety journey. It’s not easy but I needn’t tell you that.

I’m finding this app very useful, and indeed supportive. I’m going to need all the support I can get.

I’ll be sure to check out the gratitude thread and I’ll bookmark it too.

Thanks for stopping by with your warm welcome, and for your share.

Cheers
:v:t2:

2 Likes

Cheers dude. Thanks.:v:t2:

Thanks for the heads-up on the podcasts. Cheers dude :v:t2:

1 Like

Thanks Nicki. Still early days for me. I’m not finding it easy ngl. Take care :v:t2:

I like that. “Doing life differently”. I’m thinking more and more about the “alcoholic” way of thinking and living. Selfishness, poor choices, thinking errors, hurting others, grasping at temporal means to try and fill my spiritual emptiness.

There is a lot of resistance to this built up in me over time. I have not managed my life very well. I think it’s time to let Him have the reigns.

5 Likes

Indeed! Steps 1-3… I can’t. He can. Think I’ll let Him.

Learned that from a lady with 44 yrs in my old home group. It’s how she made sense of it in the beginning.

2 Likes

Heck yeah thats a great wake up call to action. Proud of you for taking positive steps towards sobriety @Borderline_Billy

1 Like

I love the recovery elevator podcast!!

1 Like

Glad to see you here. My last drink was August 16th 2024, a few days before my 36th birthday, and I also decided it’s time to really take my health more seriously. I’ve had many day ones in the past year but I’m feeling confident now. I have enjoyed the Sober Awkward podcast, it’s casual and gave me a few laughs when I needed them.

1 Like

I’m glad I’m here. It feels like I have my very own AA group in my phone. Congratulations on your sobriety. I haven’t found it easy but I have no choice. :v:t2:

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement. I need it. This aint easy :v:t2:

1 Like