Panic Attacks anyone?

Anyone experienced them after quitting alcohol? I had a big one today at work and had to come home. Massive headache since. Currently sipping jasmine tea but really want a wine.

6 Likes

I suffered anxiety and panic attacks whilst drinking but the day I quit is the day they stopped, actually I did nearly have one a couple of weeks ago when life was throwing its shit at me but deep breathing stopped me passing out for a change. This will all level out with time, well done on your sober days BTW

5 Likes

Thanks you! Just ticked me over to day 6! Anxiety through the roof though. I’ve always suffers with it, but it’s worse atm. Hoping it passes soon.

2 Likes

Hey! I hope you’re feeling better now, I wanted to say that I’ve always had panic attacks but when I drank it wasn’t so bad and now that I’m not drinking, it’s bad again. Every night multiple times. It’s Frustrating but I have learned to try to calm myself down. Sometimes I have to just get through it and I’ll be ok once I’m done. It’s a struggle that I have because I don’t want to be on meds and sometimes I just want to drink to make it stop. I just try to stay sober and keep my head good. If you ever need someone to talk to when you’re having one, you can reach out and I’ll send my number. Hope you have a great day.

This about sums it up for me as well. I used to have them regularly when I was drinking but since I stopped, I don’t think I’ve had a single one and my anxiety level in general has gone way down.

5 Likes

Hello everyone. Today is my first day sober after a relapse of several years and I am experiencing a terrible withdrawal syndrome and a very high panic despite being on a detox protocol prescribed by my psychiatrist. Basically High amounts of Valium. how long could it last? I’m having a terrible time

3 Likes

Same for me, too. What a relief. Still have anxiety but it is manageable and part of my norm that I can accept or work through.

3 Likes

I’m glad you’re getting medical assistance, and I hope you can check with your doctor when you have questions specific to the regimen. The acute withdrawal symptoms could last a few days, but you should feel better each day. I think the general consensus is that people feel a lot better after 5-10 days. 7 days was usually my timeframe for feeling back to some kind of “normal.” Which was less anxiety, physically feeling better, able to eat properly, etc. Explore other ways to help alleviate your anxiety like baths or showers ( cold worked for me, some people like hot), herbal tea, guided meditation recordings, distraction with tv/movies, etc. Hang in there, it will get better.

3 Likes

Hey, just wanted to say that I’m on my second day after relapsing as well. It’s good to know others have struggled like me, and that I’m not alone! Wish you the best!!

1 Like

Exactly! It doesn’t control my life anymore.

1 Like