Paranoid thoughts

Sigh… Does anyone ever think they did something or said something really bad? Even tho there’s no proof but you continue to think it anyway… Sucks really bad. I know I didn’t do anything horrible but I still get worried. Is this normal?

6 Likes

I can’t think right now of such a situation though I know for sure that I have definitely been in one. Along my journey though there are definitely times when I have felt an impending sense of doom which can be attributed to doing well when we have rarely done well throughout our lives. I hope this may be of some use to you, keep being awesome👍

3 Likes

That’s completely common for people who blackout while drinking or driving. Is that what happened?

1 Like

Severe paranoia is one of my biggest side effects of withdrawals but its not there where I’m under the influence or fully detoxed.

Sometimes I try to remember something my mother told me during these times .
“You can’t assume what other people think or say about you or or will drive you crazy” … and well she was right in so many ways.

5 Likes

No, I just get paranoid about things even if i didn’t do anything bad. It’s weird.

And I don’t drive lol

1 Like

I used to think this a lot after waking up. Once I thought I ran over the stop sign at the end of my street. I guess it was a dream. The next day I checked and it was there, but the pole holding it up looked new. Never paid attention to it before so maybe that’s the way it always looked. There was no car damage.

It still feels like I ran it over. I have a lot of “memories” of doing shitty things while drunk and I’m not sure if some of them are dreams or reality.

1 Like

I lived in constant fear of life while in active addiction and even though I have been sober a little while I still have moments of ’ Should I do this or that and what will people think’ Am I good enough?
I’ve learnt enough in sobriety to have a quiet conversation in my head, we’ve always been enough, what other people think of us is none of our business, I’m not always going to be right and if I feel I’ve done something wrong I can apologise and move on.

2 Likes

Sometimes can be OCD. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have a friend with this thoughts and he is completely innocent. But he suffer a lot. Maybe it’s good to find a therapist

1 Like

I am not sure if you have trauma in your past, but I do and part of it was some intrusive paranoid thoughts of something happwning to my husband or children (these are the more recent ones I remember, Im not sure what kind of paranoid stuff i used to think about). Now the thpughts would have no connection to my past trauma, so i thought I was just worrying or it was normal. But I do think now it has something to do with trauma/anxiety, as I have not had this in a while intil my sister died.

May be good to speak to someonebas another person mentioned in the post.

2 Likes

I do too have trauma, I usually always overthink everything in my life. Never felt good enough or why I’m even on this planet. I’m sorry for your loss.

Have you seen a psychiatrist? It can’t hurt and at the very least it can rule out any psychiatric causes.

I am so sorry to hear you have past trauma. It truly shapes so much of how we think and even behave, even if it doesnt seem clearly connected.

I have found in my own experience (we are all on our own journey, so I am not trying to tell you what to do or anything like that), that when I was ready dealing with my trauma with safe people has really helped to unpack these thinfs and also help me to make sense of them in my life. Doing this kind of “work” has led to some amazing ecperiences of healing, that then also effect all areas of my life - these thoughts and behaviours - even if it seemed like at the time, “how is talkong about this/dealinf with this/going back, going to effect me and the issues Im dealing with right now??”. It has seriously blown my mind. Just like how it isnt necessarily clear why the trauma from my past had me shoving a tool box against a badement door so I could hear if someone broke in while I was sleeping :sweat_smile:, doing this kind of work around my trauma has a similar effecr but in the opposite direction. Its what gives me faith and trust now, that dealing with the trauma Ive faced recently is possible (of course healing doesnt mean what happened goes away or is forgotten), but Ive experienced it and I wanted to share thst to hopefully give you some hope.

I wish you everything onnthis journey. Days that are hard where you feel that way, especially when they string together into long periods of time and even hard years really wear on us. Hang in rhere! Xo.

2 Likes

Its normal to have anxiety when getting sober or feeling weird feelings miss. Your brain is fixing itself and trying to go back to normal so it isn’t too uncommon to feel all these strange feelings out of nowhere.

2 Likes