Parties and Being Newly Sober

Heard that a friend might be having an Independence Day party, but I’m not going because I’m not ready to be around drinking. I’m a little over a month into my second try after relapsing 53 days into my first try.

How long did it take you to be okay around drinking and what were your mindsets to deal with temptation?

2 Likes

Hello, for me I avoided every alcohol related event the first 3 months of my sobriaty.
Today I’m 650 days sober and I can go everywhere again :wink:

1 Like

Just hit 200 days and I’m just now getting to a point where I can be around some alcohol. I definitely can’t be around people who are getting super trashed still tho

1 Like

It’s whenever you feel ready, it can be different for each person like with everything. It is indeed not an easy thing to do but you can go and just see how it goes, I’m sure there will be more people who don’t drink, it’s different than a club party and if it sucks you can always leave. If you think it won’t be a huge trigger you can try with non alcoholic beer.

1 Like

I still don’t really like being around it but if i see somebody trashed I’m glad it isn’t me. If you go to something and you start feeling tempted you just gotta bail. I would try to avoid for at least 3 months, probably 6 if you can.

1 Like

It’s a small intimate gathering. Not going.

1 Like