PAWS - A good article

I just read this article about PAWS - post alcohol withdrawal syndrome - and thought I would share. It’s a few years old and may have already been shared. A good read.

http://curtisbuzanski.com/blog/post-acute-withdrawal-syndrome-deconstructed-understanding-the-addict-in-early-recovery

2 Likes

Great article that I have bookmarked. Thanks for posting it!

1 Like

From the article: " These individuals often have a difficult time socializing, letting people know how they are feeling, if they’re struggling, and asking for help. Their defenses keep them guarded making it difficult to have deep meaningful relationships."

Does anybody know any good articles/books or something to help with this? I recognize this in my partner and I feel this is something he really needs to work on in order to be able to keep sober (He started trying a few weeks after I did but relapsed a few days ago). The article mentions trauma but I don’t think it really is any sort of trauma, just that he has never properly learned to share emotions/ask for help, and this results in lots of internal struggling/unhappiness leading him back to booze.
It is also pretty devastating for our relationship as it creates lots of emotional distance between us.