People are funny

I find myself amused that some people will spend every hour of every day chasing their next high, neglecting everything life has to offer around them. And then they wonder why their “life sucks and nothing interesting ever happens”. :flushed::thinking::roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Absolutely I laugh alot too. But at the same time it kind of triggers me and sometimes makes me wish I was doing that shit. Thank God I find my safe places, and remember the serenity prayer. God plz keep granting me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference

3 Likes

I find some people funny as well, but for other reasons. The constant chasing is more sad to me, I can totally understand it and relate to it. I’ve been there myself, and I’m kind of still chasing it. Not to the point where I neglect things or people but I’m still in constant change for something better, the perfect adventure, the perfect balance or as it has been for way to long the perfect feeling. The “high” or for me the feeling of being immortal. All people are absolutely different, but I think some of the constant chase is a product of society. Not everyone chases the high, but we’re all together in the same chase if you look at the big picture. Commercials telling us we won’t be happy if we don’t buy their products, we won’t be happy if we don’t have the perfect life and so on. We’re all a little afraid to be unhappy or unsuccessful in some way.

4 Likes

When we first meet people one of the questions is often ‘what do you do?’ instead of ‘what are you interested in’.

6 Likes

That’s right, and I guess it might have it’s origin in the idea that you where your profession a few hundred years ago. It’s a little funny that it’s one of the few things that haven’t changed yet.

4 Likes

I think we live in a culture of escape where we struggle to live at peace & accept the moment. We chase a fantasy of what life “could” be, instead of appreciating it for what it is. This culture is prominent in addiction, but it’s also present in other lives as well.

9 Likes

Yes, the escapism culture is always present in modern society. We don’t really have time for mindfulness because we’re constantly fed with the escapism idea. And as you said we’re chasing a fantasy, fantasy created from our comparison to others, and the companies business strategies to make money when we buy things or experiences we didn’t need to be happy in the first place. It’s a struggle indeed.

2 Likes