People in Recovery and Plants! (Part 1)

Suddddeeennnlllyyyyyy Seymoooouuurrrrrrrrrr :jack_o_lantern:

1 Like

Feed meeeeeee! :rose:

I posted a pic a while back of vanilla beans orchids, this is what the vanilla beans look like on the plant.

17 Likes

That’s incredible, can you actually use the vanilla pods also? Or do they not get mature/ready enough? I never would have thought it looked like that.

1 Like

You dry and cure them, this is from yesterday we made ice-cream, I got about 50 pods from last harvest a couple years ago so they last ages but we’ve used a bunch

9 Likes

Super super impressed! Where about do you live for these beauties to thrive? Amazing stuff!

1 Like

Durban, South Africa, it’s very sub tropical and humid so they grow outdoors, they are originally from South America but any place that’s humid without a cold winter they should be ok otherwise they need a greenhouse

6 Likes

They are awesome orchids

2 Likes

Titanopsis hugo-schlechteri

and a desert rose flower that I saw

13 Likes

Rainy Sunday greenhouse shots

14 Likes

Awesome succulents, have you made any large displays, my sister is quite into it

2 Likes

Top pic

6 Likes

and as you can see towards the top, there are fresh new butts emerging to replace the saggy old butts. It’s a great analogy for us all.

3 Likes

Thanks - nothing huge, I think the biggest is probably 12" or so. When I begin landscaping in my back yard, I’ll get to have some real fun

You know, @TMAC, it’s not just the succulents; it’s also the photography. I find these pictures stunning, and like you could do something with them, as a side gig of sorts. I don’t know… Horticultural photography for botanical places, leaflets, postcards, posters…

2 Likes

Thank you for saying so, that is very much appreciated!

I do like to make sure I get the positioning/lighting right, and before I even take a photo I usually have an idea in my head of what I want it to look like. If I don’t quite land it, it bothers me, lol.

If there’s anything I like about plants as much as collecting/growing them, it’s photographing them - I really appreciate you noticing the thought that goes into it!
This is just with my phone, too. I’ve never used a “real” camera.

3 Likes

Conophytum flavum

Been talking myself out of this cono for weeks - too expensive.
Been talking myself out of this pot for MONTHS - too expensive.

But damn it, the heart wants what it wants.

14 Likes

Waking up early and seeing you posted on the plants thread… it’s always such a joy. I love the detail you put in your plant collection, the time and effort you dedicate to it, the love you share with us, when you share the pictures. It’s just such a great example of what sobriety can hold. I feel blessed to be a part of it.
:squid::people_hugging:

5 Likes

And when you see it, you can’t unsee it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Thank you @TMAC for the laugh!! :seedling:

9 Likes

It’s my pleasure, I’m just glad other people enjoy it too!

4 Likes