People in Recovery and Plants! (Part 1)

I wanted to share some of my hellebore in bloom. It is my favourite flower because it blooms in the darkest of months. During summer it grows new foliage, but it likes to hide in the shade, under trees and hedges. And when everything else is dormant, it shows its beauty.
:squid:

13 Likes

We are in mountains of NC now, so we get a good taste of all the seasons (even a likkle bit of mud season). Right now, it is winter and 60 degrees and windy…we run humidifiers in the house because of little humidity.

Florida was heaven for the tillandsias an orchids…didn’t have to do a thing, unless I brought them in the house.

I am working on having mostly native perennials outside (tho I cannot resist daffodils, and daylilies). We did bring some of our succulents with us (they are potted, I protect them when a freeze comes). I gave away so many orchids, bromeliads, pineapples, succulents and more when we moved, it was rough.

Anyway…I know the soaking method would work. I am a quasi lazy gardener.

Yours looks so pretty. I did just let one go to the compost pile last week. These two…one is happy, the other struggles. They are over a fireplace, so really, what can I expect? :rofl:

11 Likes

Oh I LOVE your hellebores!! I have been considering some. Beautiful!!

Give it a try, if they like the soil and climate they are sooo easy to keep and sooo rewarding. Keep an eye on slugs for the first season and pests early in spring. Apart from that they don’t like too much care. Keep weeding to a minimum, they don’t like their roots disturbed. They do well in pots, but need watering throughout summer.
:squid:

1 Like

Not a problem, that I can do!! Thanks for the tips!!

1 Like

12 Likes

A couple more pods opened up.

And I have a miniature rose opening up too.

11 Likes

So pretty!!

1 Like

Awesome tree

Awesome flower

15 Likes

Wanted to brighten up my space. :bouquet:

14 Likes

Gonna attempt to take her down and repot today :grimacing:

About 2 months ago she just stopped growing, and then newer growth started dying off veeeeery slowly, after being a vigorous grower all along. Each vine has lost about a foot or so.
Soil is just muck after 2 years. Wish me luck I don’t get tangled up and die.

12 Likes

My Beefsteak Begonia has bloomed for the first time ever! I’ve had it for years. My mom’s has bloomed a ton, bit bunches of the tiny white blooms. She’s in the Midsouth though so better conditions. I’m still excited!

15 Likes

Regret. Do not do.

I hate untangling things (anything) and this was absolutely maddening :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

But you’re a good plant papa and your baby needed it. Badly. :+1:t3:

P.S. I hope you did NOT try to untangle all those roots!!!

3 Likes

Thanks for saying so :slightly_smiling_face:

And noooo. That’s some tight spaghetti. Just freed up a few ends at the bottom and she’ll find her way!

The vines though…messy

6 Likes

Oh thank god! Those leafy vines are so fiddly to untangle! It’s a major chore. I hope I never have to move this one!

12 Likes

Thank you! That was definitely the idea. I just rearranged my house and thusly my plants! It is fun for me to do. I’ll take new photos in the daylight.

2 Likes

For comparison, here’s my mom’s plant blooming. I think it pretty much blooms constantly and makes a big mess dropping its petals, so maybe I’m not so bad off!

11 Likes

Replanted and happy :blush:

11 Likes

@TMAC LMAO :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Disclaimer for the internet: Not aimed at you but thought you might find it funny.

5 Likes