People in Recovery and Plants! (Part 1)

Will do, thank you!! I was hoping it wasn’t dust balls that got stuck, lol. :cactus:

3 Likes

I have an old man Cactus, I’m worried about him, I noticed his top part seems to be flat when looking at his side. I rarely water my Cactus’, so maybe that’s what he wants.

8 Likes

It’s quite possible.
Put your finger in the soil. If it’s completely bone-dry, then I’d try to see if watering helps.

2 Likes

I’m sure it is, I will check and water, hopefully he plumps back up. Thanks! :blush:

3 Likes

Morning! :sun_with_face:

This is my Stromanthe Triostar, I’ve showed her before, but she has a couple new leaves, they all move up & down throughout the day. She’s a beauty :hibiscus:

11 Likes

My houseplant of the day is a BEGONIA KITKAT. The only begonia I own.

For some reason I always thought Begonia’s were an old lady plant or flower because I vaguely remember my Grandmother talking about them when I was young. So I’m dedicating this to her (in heaven) :innocent::heart:

13 Likes

This should be interesting :thinking:

Brief description from owner

This pack is a mix of Dionaea muscipula venus flytrap forms on the nursery and includes all red forms, shark tooth flytrap and some of the giant clones all crossed , so you could end up with something special

Looks more like a bag of dead fleas :eyes: as my eye sight isn’t great :rofl:

7 Likes

Now that things are moving along, it’s now apparent we have a mixed bag.

Mostly flowers, but the one circled on the right is DEFINITELY 100% a new segment.

I have a hunch one or both of the ones circled on the left are segments, too. Too small to tell for sure atm. I hope they are, segments there will be more stable than having more pop up on the ends. They can get too heavy and collapse, although the connection points are stronger than you’d think.

12 Likes

My new addition:

Hope I can keep them allive :face_with_peeking_eye::blush:

10 Likes

Moved my plants outside today. My angel-wing begonia did well over the winter. I rescued it from brother-in-law a couple years ago - it was a stem and one leaf.

12 Likes

Today’s houseplant is a Peperomia Abricros. The flower sticks, are their version of flowers, if you see these, they’re happy and you’re doing something right. :hibiscus:

10 Likes

This is a Burbella Peperomia. This little guy became a little too happy, lol. I’m going to take off his flower sticks so he doesn’t drain his energy. :hibiscus:

11 Likes

July 2023

May 2024

13 Likes

They look amazing :heart_eyes: i nearly bought a few of these recently as never seen them before in garden centres, and behold you have some :flushed:

Im yet to germinate red forms, shark tooth flytrap and giant clones i was kindly given as need to assemble my CFL lights and grow unit as its been a while

Ive recently met a carnivorous plant guy that has a ongoing affair with these creatures and has given me 5 plants from seed , basic species but healthy . Im happy for free plants :potted_plant:

Interesting prospective below as your probably aware of also :thinking: perhaps others will find information Interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

Rehydrated dried bloodworms are the easiest food to use to feed VFTs. I feed them when their growth slows down somewhat. The more you feed them, the larger they get and the more often they need to be repotted. Stop feeding them and they will decline.

DBWDBWs

DBWdried

DBWlots

DBWpresenting

Thats if flys aren’t available :wink: apparently new leaves appear quite quickly after force feeding

So in conclusion il probably stick to natural feeding

7 Likes

DBWDrosera

Sundews are what im actually more interested in mainly at the moment in the carnivorous side of things :heart_eyes: but ive got to wait , as guy needs to sort out his excess unwanted plants as he grows way to many from seed as he qoutes :+1: again his carnivorous love affair

My attempts back in early 90s didn’t turn out great probably as my main focus was on hydroponics exotic stuff :sweat_smile: then moved on to Trinidad scorpions / Naga and others on the higher chilli scoville level before the storm ( chilli mania ) and x germination before work took over and grew up a tad

Anyway sorry for going on waffle waffle :waffle:

Got a few other plants recently nowt exciting :grinning: well they were reduced im sure you know them

and few pots very cheap, so bought quite a few as have a large sun facing space to newly fill

8 Likes

Hey Houseplant people!
Question: Does anyone see the soil gnats from houseplants?

I always treat new plants with houseplant insect killer and they get soil stuff to prevent them. I only see them occasionally, BUT 1 gnat in my house is 1 too many. So wondering if anyone has a full cure without me having to burn my house down, lol. :hot_face:

I never noticed them when I had a few plants, but I’ve gone a little plant rogue :pensive:

Thanks!

4 Likes

I first thought it was the wife that attracted the flys but with age we both have are own aromatherapy :sweat_smile: a small spray of fly spray does the job over the pots occasionally

2 Likes

Think they also sell these plastic yellow sticky things that you stick into the soil and the gnats get stuck to it. Don’t know what they’re called, if they’re effective, never used them - only seen them - but they’re covered in dead gnats when I have

5 Likes

Cats. Mine have eaten about three little flies and /or gnats today. They growl and pursue them hard.

4 Likes

I have those too, lol. Mine are shaped like flowers and butterflies. I have stuck them in the larger snake plants since all my plants are grouped together. A couple gnats stuck. I probably don’t have a big problem, but like I said, 1 gnat it too much! :beetle: And they always seem to ‘bug’ me when I’m working on my laptop. I’m pretty sure the light on that attracts them too. They’re so annoying :rage:

Thanks for all the responses :purple_heart:

2 Likes