People in Recovery and Plants! (Part 1)

This is one of my Mum’s cacti. I couldn’t tell you what species it is, but these flowers are amazing!

11 Likes

My bet is it’s an easter lily cactus. Echinopsis subdenudata. I have a pair of those, although one flowers and one doesn’t. I have yet to get concurrent blooms, though!

4 Likes

Does anybody have some guidelines they follow on fertilizing houseplants? I’ve never really fertilized mine, maybe once or twice on a whim, but it feels like springtime is a good time to do so. I have some high quality liquid fertilizer and am considering doing it soon. Any thoughts?

3 Likes

I started about 6-7 months ago when I started at the plant shop. I’m in a work meeting right now :face_with_hand_over_mouth: but I’ll reply later on

Nvm im doing it now.
Whatever concentration it recommends per gallon on the packaging, go half so you really minimize risk of root damage. Lower concentration, but applied more frequently.

I water mine 3x a week and fertilize everytime. I also use distilled water but as you know the tap water here is quite hard.

My fertilizer just comes in a sandwich baggy from my boss though, not really stuff you’re supposed to sell lol

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. Are you talking about your cacti and your other houseplants? Or just the leafy houseplants. I guess it doesn’t make a difference. I use tap water run through a filter and then I leave it out at least 24 hrs so any chlorination evaporates and it has worked well for me. I’ll consider more regular fertilizing and I hear you on preventing root damage. I think that was my biggest concern. But everyone has their own way of doing things and I couldn’t decide what to do! Some people say twice a year, some people say it’s better to add fresh soil on top, it’s hard to say what is smartest to do.

2 Likes

Houseplants, but the principle applies to all. Lower concentration, more regularly.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

2 Likes

Took my solitary hoodia gordonii, bought two more, and made 'em a family in a bonsai pot.

Very, very happy with it.

Also, my tephrocactus geometricus is indeed growing new segments! My first ones after almost a year since I bought it. 2 for sure, possible 3rd.

11 Likes

All of your cacti updates are fascinating. I really am interested in the new segments growing on the second pic there. It almost looks like aggressive growth, like it’s splitting the spot that it’s growing from on the left side there. So interesting!

2 Likes

So these string of hearts that I propagated from the main plant have been sooo slow growing. I’m probably not doing it right or well or whatever but anyway, there is a new little leaf on one! I’m glad to see some progress.

8 Likes

I thought the same thing, it kinda just bursted right through like that scene in “Alien”

2 Likes

Now that I have seen my plants absolutely RIPPING it under the skylight, I had to get another since there’s space for one more at least.

“African Mask” Alocasia. Let’s check back in with her in a month or so, shall we? :grin:

And a meme I made based on a moment I paused during the Celtics game…

12 Likes

Foundation of my greenhouse is done, that’s the toughest part completed. That purple mark is where we’ll run the electricity through.

13 Likes

We put in raspberry bushes, hoping for some healthy rerooting when they mature… :yum:

14 Likes

Bless this man. Out there moving things along while I work. Forced him inside by noon even though I started telling him to come in at 10. He hasn’t been heeding my warnings about the sun here!

17 Likes

One of my birkin triplets has opened a new leaf :leaves:

11 Likes

I am in love with this spot.
I think they are, too.

11 Likes

Been admiring the cactus in my front yard, particularly the spines.

Not sure what it is exactly but my educated guess is some kind of cereus/trichocereus.

10 Likes

google lens says Stenocereus (another name for what you already mentioned- just starting to learn about cacti) :thinking:-- not sure how accurate this app is. regardless - looks beautiful

1 Like

It’s ALIVE

Just needs the door, some shade cloth, and electricity (damn flaky electricians…). I have fans and an evaporative cooler ready to go.
I am going to gravel the inside, and put some stone in around the outside.
I also have professional garden center displays on order. Pricey but they look too damn legit to pass. I plan on having some seating and solar lighting in here if I can finagle it.

16 Likes