Perspective - It makes a difference

Throughout my life I have found that perspective and wording (internal voice or external) are very important factors in how people see things and react, including myself. I believe most people can relate. As an example, if work has a mandatory lunch or fun day, the word mandatory seems to take away from the experience and maybe even make some not want to do it.

I have found it helpful to me so far to apply this type of logic to my sobriety journey as well. I am a little over a month sober and do not miss it much. I think in large part that is and has been due to my perspective. I am also eating better and exercising, so in my mind the sobriety journey is part of my overall healthier lifestyle journey…similar to greatly limiting or eliminating soda. Now of course, alcohol is a much bigger monster than soda, and I do obviously pay special attention and take precautions concerning sobriety. It just seems like by including it in my overall healthier life journey, and not specifically focusing on the loss of alcohol as a tool, mechanism, or recreation activity…it makes it easier for my brain to process that I am quitting but really focus on the other health goals more. Does that make sense? It also makes it so that if I need a cheat or special day I can just eat some junk food, feel bad about that, and still stay away from drinking.

Does anyone else try to change the way they perceive thier journey or addicition in order to help them on their journey? Has anyone had particular success doing this or have any advice to offer?

10 Likes

Totally agree. I’m not forcing myself not to drink, I’m choosing to abstain to live healthier.

5 Likes

It really does make a big difference looking at it that way right?

1 Like

I 100% agree. I’ve also made overall health one of my main focuses. With things like working out and eating healthy, not drinking seems like a less looming idea. It just gives me one more reason not to drink!

4 Likes

Yeah it’s hugely important imo. I think reframing sobriety in this way is why I’ve been successful so far when I hadn’t been before.

It’s interesting how shifting your perspective like that takes active effort and reinforcement. And kindness and gentleness to yourself.

2 Likes

Exactly. In the past I have looked at it just as quitting drinking, to me that made me feel like I was “losing” an aspect of my life and definitely made the mental battles more challenging.

1 Like

I agree, there is a lot of effort involved, but the payoff is there so it is worth it!

1 Like

I couldn’t have said it better myself, that’s spot on.

1 Like

You are right, it’s called changing your mindset, changing how you perceive your relationship with alcohol.
You are not missing anything you are gaining something, your life back.
Well done. This helped me very early in my journey and I take it to be part of the whole acceptance thing.
Congratulations mate.

2 Likes

Thats the other side of the perspective element.
Not seeing the negative in things, look for the positive, the opportunity.
Which is where being grateful comes in.
There’s always a connection.

2 Likes

Thanks, I know it has helped me out greatly!

I do like that. It is just as important to remind ourselves that the charished family moments and more positive times pass too.

I think I will remember that phrase and use it more in concert with fun and cherished moments rather than just using it to push through the rought stuff.