Planning on trying to be sober for over a week

I’ll try to keep everyone updated. I honestly didnt expect this many replies. It’s honestly making me feel more hopeful.

4 Likes

I started this app mainly for the counter, and had a goal to get through the anniversary of my Mum’s death. I was reading lots, then decided I wanted to join in so signed up. The support here is amazing. Stick around, you might see the benefits of sobriety beyond a week! I read on here something along the lines of, “better to go through life sober wondering if you have a problem, then to be a drunk wondering if you can get sober”. Something like that. That really stuck with me. Happy early birthday! :blush:

15 Likes

Today is the first day for me, already wanting to go out to the store and come home with a bottle. But I’m not, that’s just my habit. I feel after a couple days it will become a little easier

6 Likes

For me, keeping it in the day is helpful - just focusing on one day at a time. Welcome.

3 Likes

Hey Mike, how did the day go for you? Did you go get that bottle?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this. I needed it.:blush:

2 Likes

Getting on here and reading threads is a good way to get through times of craving.

If you are shaky or anxious or having any visual or audio hallucinations, get yourself to a doctor or ER. No need to suffer dangerous withdrawal symptoms on your own.

3 Likes

I started that way 19 days ago. I said that I wanted to be sober until my birthday which is the 23rd of February. After being sober for a week, I felt amazing. I was losing my beer gut, wasn’t bloated, and I was sleeping better. I have so much time on my hands along with more energy. I was a binge drinker on the weekends and would drink 4-6 beers after work during the weekday. Being 19 days sober, I doubt I’ll drink on my birthday next month. Working on figuring things to do for my birthday instead of drinking. This app has definitely helped me, and seeing the days go by has became kind of a game. I’m looking forward to tomorrow as it will be 20 days. Almost a month in. You can do it if you want to.

Good luck!

7 Likes

I’m so glad you have decided that you like sobriety and that you won’t be drinking on your birthday! Now, make sure to build the foundation deep and strong so that when it comes around (your birthday) you have started putting up the walls of your sobriety/recovery.

2 Likes

Your drinking is similar to mine. And we’re practically sober twins! I like life much better this way also. You and my son have the same birthday too!:blush::+1:

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I like the sober twin thing! Lol
I never knew that living life sober could be so fun, but I’m actually having a blast being sober and it feels great!

3 Likes

Last night I broke, I’ve been having a lot of relationship issues and couldnt get through one day, I did only buy wine and not liqour which is my weakness, I woke up feeling better then I would on liqour. But today I have not had a drop and restarted my counter.

My birthday is on the 28th just FYI. Still a week. One step at a time, the hardest part will be when I do not work but I’ll try and keep focus with this forum. Thanks everyone

2 Likes

Mine is this week too; I’m fine with not drinking to celebrate.

1 Like

Hey Mike, how do you feel about drinking yesterday? Seems like you are wishing you had not drank the wine. For me, liquor, wine, or beer all lead to the same place, just takes different volumes to get there. Glad you restarted the counter. So, the tough question, did the relationship issues go away? Seems like you have identified a trigger. Do you have any ideas how to deal with the relationship feelings that do not involve a drink?

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. Been on a 1/2 bottle of whiskey a night for about 5-6 years. Longest stretch for me was 5-6 days. I’m gonna try to get 10 then 14 and then a month. I wish you success.

6 Likes

Welcome Matt, glad you are here.

I wish you lots of growth here Matt; it’s turned it around for me having this place to come to.
:blush::+1:

1 Like

Had a curve ball thrown at me, was asked to pick up liqour because its cheap around where I work, I agreed. And as you know routine after work is to drink. I bought the bottle for a friend and the guy knows me as a regular and threw in an extra miniature of my favorite! I tossed it away and gave my buddy his booze. Not today.

18 Likes

I’m shooting for a week as well! Good luck

2 Likes