Please give me some support - day 1 :’(

Hi everyone,

Im new to the community here and currently in a bad way.

I have always had issues with binge drinking and did this again at the weekend. I have stayed in bed for 30 hours so far. My anxiety levels are through the roof and I feel awful :frowning:

I swear to myself now this will be the last time I am drunk. I can’t do this alone though, I would be grateful for any support that I can do this and hearing of your success stories.

Thank you :’(

11 Likes

You got this…take it one day at a time!
We are all here to support you and are all going through the same battles.
Keep your chin up and surround your self with positive vibes!

Much love

4 Likes

Oh man, the anxiety is the worst! I used to get that all the time. The best I can tell you right now is to hold on because the first day can suck. But by this afternoon, usually, it starts feeling better. I can tell you from experience that by tomorrow you will already start to feel the difference!

3 Likes

Hi!
I have been sober for 12 days now since I woke up in ER on the morning of 23rd of December. I have struggled for years with drinking too much and promised myself to stop drinking several times but never kept that promise. Waking up in the hospital a day before Christmas was the final wake up call for me and I havent drunk anything since.
My biggest motivations include: not losing full days and plans because of hangover and not letting people who are close to me down.
I have started daily 10 minute mindfulness meditations - focusing on my breathing and letting thoughts flow without judging them.
What are your current thoughts that are making you want to drink?

8 Likes

Hello and welcome to you.
My advice would be to spend some time reading around on here. Use the magnifying glass to search any questions or key words you may have. There is a lot of really useful information and advice on here. You will find stories from other people who are or have been in your situation.
Find the similarities, use them to start to formulate a plan for how you are going to move forward.
There are formal recovery groups both online and in real life. Don’t be afraid to use them.
You are correct in saying that you can’t do this on your own, but the hard work and determination must come from you. And deep down you will find the resolve to make yourself a better person.
First and foremost, keep an open mind and be willing to try anything.

5 Likes

Well that sounds familiar!! Ugh. That horrible hangover anxiety and regret. What a waste of life. The beauty is you NEVER have to feel that way again. Read as much as you can here, particularly Frequently Asked Questions

Focus on being sober today. Tomorrow focus on tomorrow. Slow and steady, you can do it.

5 Likes

Thank you to everyone so far for taking the time to reply. I honestly can’t wait for this feeling to pass. I need to get out of bed, I cannot lose 48 hours just hiding in bed. It is so hard though with the anxiety.

My triggers are actually my friends. I know that when I go out I cannot stop at two or three drinks but they put me under social pressure to drink more and do not accept me having soft drinks. I will have a serious discussion with them that if they can’t accept me not drinking alcohol then I think we will have to part ways as friends.

Does anyone experience night sweats as a physical symptom during a hangover? I woke up a few times sweaty and with rapid heartbeat.

I so hope this feeling passes and then I can hopefully offer support to others if I am successful :frowning: thank you all again though for taking the time to reply.

5 Likes

Welcome!

I remember those hangovers and that anxiety very well. For me, it finally got so bad that I was willing to do anything to get sober. This forum has been an invaluable lifeline, especially in the early days when I needed connection 24/7. I still check in every day,as people here have now become dear friends and family to me.

For me, I had to have some help in person as well. I found a recovery program that has helped me learn how to live again - this time without alcohol.

After drinking for over 20 years, heavily for at least ten of those, I’ve now been sober over 20 months. You can do this - and you don’t have to do it alone. Lots of folks here will help, so reach out when you need us!

6 Likes

I’m with you…went 28 days sober than moderately drank for a month then binged yesterday. Made a fool of myself in front of friends. Today is my Day 1 again as well… praying we can do this together. :pray::pray::pray:

3 Likes

When I first started on here I was told that this journey is life changing.
One of those changes is the people who you hang with.
You can’t allow them to rule what you do.
You can’t allow them to pressure you, especially at the moment when you’re not strong enough in your sobriety.
Maybe one day, when your confidence has grown and you can stand there and confidentiality say " mines a soda please".

5 Likes

I used to get rapid heartbeats a lot as well. Drink water! Eat a banana if you have one (bananas have a lot of the nutrients that alcohol sucks out of you!)

2 Likes

Welcome,if you want success stories stick around and read through all the hundreds of threads created by ppl that have made soberity work for them,it’s not an easy journey but hell it is worth it.i wish you all the best.stay focused and connected,this my friend if you allow it to be could be the first step of many to living a free life XX

1 Like

They are a good source of seratonin aswell, an all around superfood! :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

I’m at the stage now where I’m struggling not to have a drink to get rid of this anxiety feeling :frowning: I know this isn’t the right thing to do, I will resist but this anxiety is so bad :frowning:

Hey you, welcome on TS :blush:
We’ve all been pretty much where you are now. As said above I encourage you to read the FAQs, a LOT of information is there. Your body and mind will feel miserable in the next time. Nobody can tell you how long this will last, every body is different. Please don’t hesitate to go to a Dr. to get help if the symptoms get worse!
Rest, drink lots of water or tea, eat what your body wants and don’t count calories now :wink:
Feel free to ask anything! If you wanna vent, do it!
And again, read read read :kissing_heart:
All the best to you and good luck!

1 Like

Don’t be so hasty to move, I found that staying exactly where I am has helped me at times. No one is going to bring you a drink, you can’t drag your bed to the pub or the shop. All us addicts want to do is fight our way to the end of the day and can’t wait to get in bed and be grateful we are clean and sober laying in our safe place waiting to go to sleep, oh and sleep or lack of is a story for another day. Do whatever you feel the most comfortable doing bc if it means it’s keeping you sober then it must be exactly the right place to be and the right thing to do. Be strong. :100::muscle:

2 Likes

Hi DS20, today is day one for me too & I too suffer from anxiety. In my case I believe the drink is causing my anxiety & I too would drink to get rid of the anxiety, so it was a vicious circle. I believe my anxiety will be much better if I stopped drinking, but unless I try it I’ll never know. Shall we do it together & support each other on here?

5 Likes

Okay imma be frank with you… Get dressed and walk! Just walk this off.

Maybe look on AA or NA site for a meeting near you. There will be people who know what you are going through.

When i stayed put changes we’re real I’d be beaten by my addict mind.

Walk a bit, get juices flowing let your body get some oxygen and revive its self. It will help you.

recovery is a program of action rather then stewing in your pains.
Walking is also a mindful exercise.

Good luck! Get moving :pray:t2:

@Dolse71 funny to read you out the exact opposite here… That’s also recovery right. It is different for everybody.

3 Likes

What ever it takes mate. I’m sure you’ve done it all just like me, it’s whatever works at that moment on that day. I did find walking a bit scary some days bc I would walk to alcohol but as the days passed a lovely walk in the country collecting my thoughts was just what I needed. A bloke at a meeting helped me once he told me I have no business being in the alcohol Isle of a supermarket, I had to agree.

2 Likes

Then don’t go for a while. For me I didn’t went to alcohol related events the first 3 months of my sobriaty. So no pub, festival, bbq, restaurant, concert and stuff for me back then.
After a while sober you’re stronger and have tools to handdle these difficult situations.
Now I have more then 1 year sober, it can be done and so can you!

3 Likes