Postpartum drinking

Hi! New here, and was looking for some advice. Newly sober, my issue is not knowing when to stop once I’ve had a drink and get into a shame and anxiety bubble. I have a 5 month old baby, so I spend a lot of time on my own with my baby and drinking most evenings has been my coping method I guess out of habit and boredom?

I just feel I have an awful relationship with alcohol but how do I go about becoming sober and actually being accountable for this.

(Just to mention I never drink when I’m alone with my baby, or do night feeds or bed share etc)

6 Likes

Welcome Chloe :wave: You are not alone, there are many mothers who have faced alcohol, including many people here (if you search “motherhood and drinking” or “parenting drinking” or “mommy wine culture” or similar searches you’ll find threads.

It is possible to get clean and be the person you want to be. It takes effort and it takes community (which can be Talking Sober and / or other communities as well; there are some options for groups listed here Resources for our recovery)

Welcome to Talking Sober. It’s nice to meet you! You’ve found your people. We’ve been where you are.

4 Likes

I’m currently in the same spot. No I don’t have any children yet but trying to stay sober after 13 years of drinking and it never ends well with my emotional and mental state. Always 0-100 and then I loath myself for what I continue to put myself through regardless of how I know I will inevitably feel about it. Here if you want someone to talk too.

1 Like

This is when i started…after i had my baby…she was 10 months when my partner ended things…i had to move out and back in with my parents which was awful…i was absolutely heartbroken…i lost my relationship, my home, my independence and the dream id had of having a happy family of my own all in 1 day…thats when i started drinking to cope…over the course of 5 years my drinking very gradually got a little more, more times a week then at my worst it was every day and believe me i ended up in a sorry state and almost had my gorgeous little girl taken into care…if you can take steps to get sober before u get like that then do it :heart:

4 Likes