Premium Changes (Feedback Thread)

I have been trying to purchase premium this morning and it isn’t working! What am I doing wrong? When it says ‘premium options’ it is just a blank white screen. If I click the blue button (which I assume is the purchase) it just spins and spins :weary:

1 Like

Diversification, how? There aren’t many ways to monetize apps:

1. Ads
  2. In-app purchases
  3. Selling user data

I refuse to sell user data for Sober Time, so that leaves us with ads an in-app purchases. Ads are generating more revenue than in-app purchases, so this would even it out more.

Ads are also responsible for chasing away a lot of users, which leads to this.

This is definitely a concern for me, I kept the subscription low at only $5 per month, unlike other apps that are way more. Of course, this is all optional and no one HAS to purchase it to use the app. All the core features are still completely free.

No, I’m not depending on it, but I am hopeful that it would be better for the health of Sober Time.

No, ads will very likely continue to generate the majority of revenue. This change seeks to balance the scales.

I meant this more as a figure of speech than literally, my apologies. I’d like to clarify that I’ll ensure that the doors stay open, as I always have.

As you’ve mentioned, most users do not end up making any purchases, so the vast majority of users will not be affected by this at all. Those who do choose to make a purchase, get useful features, ad removal and community perks in return. I think this is a fair exchange.

15 Likes

Sorry about that! There was a bit of a mixup with Apple (my fault) where I submitted the app update for review, but I didn’t add the “product” for review with it. So the app went live, but the subscription isn’t available to the public yet. I’ve since resubmitted the product and I’m waiting for Apple to approve it. It will sort itself out in a day or two.

5 Likes

A better balance between ads and in-app purchases would lead to a better app experience overall. With less ads interrupting users, more will stay for longer, increasing the app’s health.

6 Likes

I have Premium via Googleplay.
What happens to my account and timers cause of the change? :flushed:
Don’t really understand.

1 Like

Nothing changes for you. This from the original post by Robin:

2 Likes

And to add to that:

Subscribing will get you the extras that until now were reserved for patreon subscribers (the “patrons”).

1 Like

Ah okay thank you Menno, now everything is clear!

As TS was my lifesaver until here, I would not worry about paying more or giving a donation.

I was just worried about the community and my lovely timers! :smiley::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

This has no effect on timers, journal entries, history entries. Just wanted to clarify that :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am confused. I paid the one time no ads fee but I do not have a monthly patreon subscription. By merging them together an I automatically being charged no they now or do I have to subscribe?

1 Like

Welcome to micro transactions world we live in anymore, the stores direct you to the platform or media and they want their tax to go with it. It’s not just apple and google, everyone does it now.

Amazon is king of retail now, but I often shop around and find better deals

1 Like

No, you will keep your Premium benefits without having to subscribe. You won’t get community perks - those are from the subscription.

You can’t be automatically placed on a subscription either. There’s nothing you need to do further, it will all carry on working as before.

2 Likes

Is there also a one-time donation possibility if you don’t like subscriptions?

1 Like

I have been trying to purchase premium and it isn’t working, When I press the ‘premium options’ it is just a blank white screen and not response :face_with_monocle: fyı

This one may be same issue he mentioned a few posts up…

2 Likes

You could subscribe and then immediately cancel your subscription. There is no donation feature, sorry.

2 Likes

Sorry about this. I’m still waiting for Apple to approve it.

2 Likes

This means you’ll be closing the Patreon as well? I thought they offered a one time contribution as well.

I am trying to purchase premium but when I hit premium, it brings up the screen describing what it includes but the bottom button I assume is purchase is blank and stays a spinning circle when I click it and when I select to see all plans, a white screen comes up and I have to close the app. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you and I love this app!

I believe Robin is still waiting for approval on some of the new features, including Premium.

1 Like