Price of non alcoholic drinks

Any time. Yeah unfortunately it’s really common to find out that lots of people want drinking partners not friends, but you’re better off knowing. Your time and energy is too valuable to spend in places it won’t bear fruit. Who knows, maybe it’ll go both ways, you might find some friends (existing friends, or new) are totally down to do non-drinking activities, and both they and you will be more present and intentional with your time together because alcohol won’t be involved. Wishing you the best.

So much logical awesomeness in this one sentence. So much truth.

2 Likes

A wise choice, for this phase of your sober journey.

2 Likes

How did the quiz go?

£3.50 for a soda and lime is bloody expensive! I am annoyed when I pay over £1 for it to be honest. I had a NA drink last night that cost £4, even though it was more than carbonated water it’s still a bit steep. But I try and look at the total I spend in a night - I drink far fewer drinks, don’t get a greasy takeaway to try and mop up the booze before bed and don’t spend the following day eating shit all day.

In terms of changing the way you live - personally I have found sobriety a huge opportunity to change the way I live. My favourite thing in the world now is being up at 6am on a Sunday morning and going for a walk in the woods, listening to the birds as the world wakes up (when the weather is nice anyway). I’ve got used to spending time on my own and while I love being around people, I don’t need that constant validation any more. Or as much anyway, I’m working on it :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

You will find out who your friends are and if you still find being out in the same situations fun, and you can stay sober, then that’s amazing. If things move on for you, that’s cool too! If you have to make some changes in the short term to make your sobriety stick, so be it. The people who care will understand and they will still be there. If being sober is your priority then you will work out how to make it work for you.

3 Likes

£3.50???it doesnt even cost that for a large costa!!thats ridiculous.was it a very posh bar?

Thanks for all your great comments its really helpful to get your views as i am new to this and just trying my best. I managed ok at the quiz although my friends and my mum were all drinking to be fair they only had a couple. We came 4th out of 10 teams so not bad result, we were 2nd after 1st half then questions came up about Game of thrones and ive never watched an episode of it lol. I did stay home llast night Friday even tho i was invited out by friends thats an achievement for me. Its early days yet im on day 6 today but i know im gonna miss the laughs. But i won’t miss the hangovers and the mess i got into. Have a great weekend everyone

1 Like

Im so glad someone else thinks it was expensive. Others have said its treating yourself which yes is fair enough if it was a ‘treat’ drink but it was soda water! Lol. But also yes i get your point about the other costs associated with it and yes not drinking is going to save me a fortune so happy days :grin:

1 Like

Anyone know of any substitution drinks I can keep at home? Tried the La Croix but I heard they are getting or have gotten sued for having some kind of pesticides in them??! The flavor was alright tho…

It will be better value in the long run

I wouldn’t worry about that law suit, but there are lots of beands of flaboured sparkling water/club sodas on the market. I like La Croix but don’t but it because there is cheaper stuff that is just as good.

I recently got a soda stream but I don’t like the flavourings so I just add lemon to my glass.

I also drink a lot of tea.

For special treats I buy kombucha. I know some here won’t drink it but I love it and I fully believe in its health claims.

I hardly ever need to pay for club soda/selzer/soda water. One bartender told me he wasnt going to charge me for just “carbonated water.” I gave him a $2 tip for his service. We were both pleased with the transaction.

I go to this gastropub every Tuesday night with a group of (drinking) friends for $2.00 cheeseburgers. Fries are just a $1 extra. Being regulars, the servers pretty much remember our drink order. My (free) club soda is always the first to arrive to the table. One night I went wild and ordered a ginger ale and cranberry juice with a slice of lime. All evening, the server keep bringing them to me without me asking. To my suprise I wasn’t charged!

I have always thought that when I am out with my drinking friends, my drink order singles me out as possibly the DD or maybe a recovering alcoholic so I am not charged. My wife believes it is probably our reputation for being good customers who treat the serving staff with respect and tip well.

One time in Las Vegas, I ordered a club soda for me and a vodka tonic for my wife. When I asked the bartender “how much?”, he winked and said “the club soda is on me.” Curious.

4 Likes

I guess the big difference is that you will probably be happy with just one soda lime, whereas youd need 10x (or however many) alcoholic drinks.

2 Likes

Very true i am definitely saving money so there’s another positive to being a non drinker

1 Like