PSA - it wasn't water!

Last night, we went to a hibachi restaurant to celebrate my daughter’s 11th birthday. Ordering a diet coke was no big deal, I didn’t even stress about it. When it came time for the guy cooking our meals to fling a gob of rice in each person’s mouth, he took a ketchup bottle and squirted water into our mouths after we caught the rice. Only it wasn’t water, it was Saki. I wasn’t prepared for that and really thought it was water (maybe to help wash it down to prevent choking, idk.) Anyway, I hate Saki, it didn’t make me want to drink but I wanted to let you all know this in case you go to a hibachi restaurant, its not water in that ketchup bottle, so be careful!
Wednesday will mark 3 weeks for me and all I can say is it is getting so much easier. Have a great monday everyone!

13 Likes

Hey!
I’m a bit concerned that the cook didn’t tell it was alcohol but I’m glad you are on your 3rd week! Keep going…! Have a great monday too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well that sucks. A good learning experience for us all. Thanks for sharing!!

And I agree that the chef should not be putting sake in people’s mouths without permission.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you had this experience. I find it very rude. We go to hibachi quite often and you’re right, they don’t tell you unless there’s children at the table. Even then they don’t come out and say, rather they grab a different bottle and then say “this is only water”. It’s sad that they assume every adult drinks. I tell them “no, I don’t drink” and they always ask 3 more times. Wtf!? I have to get stern with them. They’re response is always “come on, just one”.

3 Likes

I’m glad it didn’t bother you and more importantly trigger any urge to consume more alcohol.

That’s completely irresponsible of the restaurant. I never thought about that scenario, but any establishment should be obligated to inform patrons of anything that may contain alcohol on a menu or verbally. I happen to be under court order and I’m tested once a week for alcohol in my system, so if I were in your shoes I’d be screwed.

Today is 3 weeks for myself. Congratulations on your sobriety!

3 Likes

Lisa, he offered more at the end of his cooking and said no thank you but I was very surprised that they assumed I knew what it was and to be honest, I feel a bit naïve for assuming it was water.

1 Like

I think you should file a complaint with the restaurant. There’s got to be some kind of liability on their end. Maybe they’ll give you a gift certificate to come back.

Not naive at all. I’d be shocked by that whole experience. I’d put it on yelp and file a complaint. That’s not right at all.

1 Like

Did he give your 11 year old Sake?

Wow. I mean, I’ll be the first to say “That’s cool, you do you.”

But to fire off booze at people without at least saying what it is? There are more reasons besides recovering folks that could be dangerous for. The DD, pregnant women, celiacs depending on the sake, etc.

Yeah. I’d be pointing this out to the general manager as calm as I could muster. Glad to hear you kept it together! :+1:

1 Like

No, he only gave it to the adults.

I appreciate everyone’s responses. It certainly caught me off guard and I will call them and suggest that they give people a heads up before they squirting Saki in peoples mouths. I hate the stuff, always have so it didn’t trigger anything but I definitely would have liked a heads up. Thanks!

1 Like

I would have spit it right out all over everything…they might rethink not telling people what it was next time!!

3 Likes

I might WANT to yell out “I’m a freaking alcoholic! What are you thinking?” but that would probably embarrass my husband, so maybe not. LOL

2 Likes

1 Like