Question About Meetings

34 days sober and feeling great. With that said, I’ve gone up to a year sober and it just takes that one moment to relapse. With that in mind, I want to be sure I’m setting myself up for success this time around. I’ve always been open to AA but never gone, and now I want to start.

My question is this- all the meetings around me have a bunch of different names I don’t understand. I can’t make any of the newcomer meetings. Any suggestions on meeting types to seek out and types to avoid for a newbie?

Thanks y’all!

4 Likes

check em all out and see which one you think you will get the most from. I’ve never been to a meeting and took nothing away from it but I do have my favourites. Speaker meetings and book studies are common and often an eye opener. There is more to AA than just going to a few meetings though so keep an open mind and who knows what will happen, having a sponsor changed everything for me. Well done on your sober days BTW :+1:

6 Likes

Any meeting is a newcomer meeting if you will be there. My home group is at noon and we don’t get a ton of newcomers but I wish we did.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m fairly familiar because of my closest friends being in AA for several years, but definitely keeping an open mind to all things because I’m sure plenty will come up I wasn’t expecting :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you can’t make a newcomer meeting, I’d suggest an open, discussion meeting to start. But like @Englishd said, any will do really. Although some meetings are specifically men’s or women’s.

2 Likes

I’m really glad you have some good sober friends. Maybe they can help with recommendations? I think it’s great that you are taking this step.

2 Likes

I personally enjoyed speaker meetings at the start. One person tells their story for 20 minutes and then there is sharing time. Literature study classes can be a bit full on (imho) if you are not more familiar with the program.

3 Likes

I’m really liking the daily reflections meetings. They place you in the ‘now’ and help you focus on the day.
Spiritual concepts meetings are another good meeting, same with big book meetings.
Honestly, they’re all good.

1 Like