Question About Switching Drinks

So I’m an alcoholic…restarting again for the millionth time. 5 days sober. Weekends are usually the hardest, does anyone use substitutes for drinking besides coffee? I’ve done energy drinks but it usually keeps me up which I don’t like. Not a fan of coffee like a weirdo…not sure if there’s anything else people use to help curb cravings. Would like to get 1 month sober then 3 months then 6, but currently trying to break 15 year long habits of drinking on weekends. Drinking something else seems to curb the cravings for the meantime, just didn’t know if anyone had other alternatives besides energy drinks and coffee

4 Likes

Ginger ale or oolong tea for me.

US peeps get very excited about something called La Croix

Some other suggestions here.

Drink alternatives?

7 Likes

Ahhh thanks didn’t see there was a whole board for it

2 Likes

No worries, you might get extra ideas on top of those

1 Like

And fyi, the magnifying glass at the top right is for searching for stuff

For me tonic water has something about it, maybe the bitterness, that helps make a good substitute. There are even some varieties with stevia if you don’t want all the sugar. I’ve mixed it with cherry juice or pomegranate syrup sometimes. I agree it’s just nice to have something in hand.

1 Like

Ginger ale works the best for me. Not sure why but it does. Other then that I drink orange juice and that helps sometimes.

Chocolate helps with the bad cravings and headaches too. Another weird thing but it works for me.

1 Like

i love seltzer water. plain or flavored. the carbonation really helps the cravings of the drink in my mouth. its also a great visual alternative so people think you’re drinking a gin and tonic and don’t pester you about drinking while out.

I keep flavored sparkling water on hand.

1 Like

Like @claire-lo and @Soul_Man already mentioned, sparkling water flavored or unflavored is my go to replacement. I eventually used some of the money I saved by not drinking on a soda stream (and an attachment to refill the CO2 bottles myself). Totally worth it in my case. Often a simple on-the-surface craving is helped by a cold bubbly water. Might not be everyone’s jam, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For me stronger the carbonation the better…

The burn from it takes any real desire away. I’m one of those that never or rarely had cravings or withdraws, but if I have an alcohol beverage. You better hide all the alcohol in the house, and I’m going to be at the liquor store 5 mins before they close. Unless I pass out 1st… sad, in many ways.

Smoothies :muscle:. There fun to make healthy and delicious and filling

3 Likes

I have been drinking watermelon juice a lot …
green tea, smoothies!! , hot chocolate… there are so many cool drinks I didn’t know about till quitting liquor…

Oh yeah and of course the six pack of blue Kool-Aid it’s like one dollar. The sugar seriously helps the cravings…

1 Like

I like different kind of teas, chai tea, chamomile, sleepy tea for nights, another one my kids got me to like is boba tea, thats a kind different thing to try pretty good stuff.