Questions about milestones for my sober legends ❤️✨

In the beggining, which milestone was your greatest pleasure and achievement? And why? When did you notice improvement in your mental health and mind? Is really a one month milestone A BIG DEAL? Looking forward to it :heart::heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes

For me, 10 days, because all alcohol has officially left the body, and 3 months felt like pretty big deals. But I agree, all sober days are important.

7 Likes

I think 90 days I always a big one regardless of whether you are an AA follower or not. The first 90 days are definitely spoken about as the hardest.

5 Likes

For me, everyday. I can’t think about the future or “down the line” I put one foot in front of the other everyday and everyday I see the number of days I’m sober go up, I am in awe. 789 days and counting. It’s not about the milestones but about the changes you make on your journey to better yourself and your life. :heart:

5 Likes

Honestly, i think 10 days was the biggest win for me… it’s when i started to believe in myself, when the chemicals were gone from my body, when i hit double digits. I have 556 days now and I’m grateful for each and everyone of them. Great post Iva, and nice to meet you.

5 Likes

I wondered this a little myself and appreciate the question. I am.only on day 17, but getting past day 10 felt very transformative for some reason.

2 Likes

One month was my favorite milestone. I felt enough of a change to fuel my desire to keep going. I felt so many benefits, I thought it could only get better and it did over time.

3 Likes

For me there are plenty of milestones. Today is 2.5 years sober. I feel improvement of the personal side a lot but only in tiny steps. For me it’s a long process with ups and downs, and plateaus where I don’t want them. They always come when I need to integrate and stabilise things. For me 1 year was a huge milestone as I lived each holiday, each season sober and I did it. I knew it was possible, Christmas, a wedding, birthday and so on.

3 Likes

I had my share of relapses and all of them where around the 3 months. I’ve read somewhere that it takes 3 months to change a habit so when I had 4 months I was very happy. It deffinitely stuck that time because I’m sober still: 2,5 year now.
I found my milestones important, but they are tricky for me as well. At big ones I’m emotional unstable.

4 Likes

Day 1. You can’t get sober without day 1

4 Likes

Today is my tenth day :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and I feel better today than I can remember. :tada::tada::tada:

3 Likes

I agree. In the 11 months I stayed clean, the first three months were long and difficult. After that it was smooth sailing for 8 months, till it wasn’t. But definetly I noticed a change at three months so I’d say that was a memorial mile stone… Also day one, as @Englishd Derek said.

1 Like

I always wanted to beat my last record.
For years I haven’t been able to pass 198 days.
Now that I have, I can’t keep thinking in terms of milestones.
Of course I have all those days behind me and I don’t want to « loose » them.
But what I do is continuing like I started : one day at a time, putting one foot in front of the other in the direction of my well-being.

I see this more like a construction than a timeline milestone. Everyday I put a brick on. Some days the brick is at the same levels and that’s ok, it means I have to solidify the place I am before going higher. Its called « plateaus ». I even sometime have to go back down a little to put some bricks in places i passed to fast. I called this being humble and working on m’y sobriety plan to make sure I don’t fall off. If I keep building up too fast without a safety plan holding me tight to the structure I built, I could fall off back down into the booze. I don’t see how this could happen where I am today, but I know each day is different and have it’s own struggle attached too. That’s why, in the middle of all those bricks, I have my safe place in which I know I can always go back instead of falling out back into using. The bigger the milestone, the bigger the vertigo, but also the more solid we become. Each brick is a step closer to liberty.

I think I went a little off topic but eh, felt like it.
Hope you have a good day,

1 Like

For me, it was 30 days. I’d had many short quits, 2 or 3 weeks, at which time I’d think “see, you can stop anytime you want to, so you can have a couple drinks. No problem”. Predictably, I’d be right back to it, in a few days.

Hitting 30 days was like that moment in the first Lord of the Rings movie, when the Hobbits reach the edge of the shire, Sam remarking how this is the farthest from home he’d been to that point, and every step after would be farther still.

When I hit 30, I took a deep breath, and then stepped off, headed for day 31, and 32 and so on.

As far as mental clarity goes, those first few milestones up to 6 months were full of introspection and I had some time to really reflect on how life had improved. My HP was kind, and kept the life-challenges to a minimum, letting me gain my “sea legs”, never giving me more than I could bear in the moment.

Come to think of it, He still does this. This past year has been really tough sledding, but I’ve never felt my sobriety threatened. We get locked down, but everyone in my house stayed healthy. My income takes a huge hit, and my wife gets a huge raise. I lose my job, but the UI is the same as what I was making the last few months of 2020. I had a nagging shoulder injury that kept me from training at 100%, and got passed over for a belt promotion…then I get double-promoted on the next test. So many times this has happened with things large and small. It’s as if He says “these life-things you face that you used to instinctively reach for a bottle, rather than face them…just take the hit, and roll with the punch…stay sober and take the standing eight count…I got this. Stay sober…and you will see.”

That’s right. Stay sober, and you will see. PTL!

2 Likes

4 days was huge for me, as I hadn’t gone that long without alcohol for over a decade.

10 days was simply incredible to me. It was such a motivator. I knew how hard it was to get past 3 days, double digits felt like I’d climbed out of Mordor.
Don’t get me wrong, physically, emotionally, and mentally … I was in a horrible place for months!

90 days was a wonderful milestone. I think I celebrated with ice-cream for a week!

I had/have read a lot on here about milestones being triggers. Others’ experiences have helped me be more prepared than I otherwise would have been. :pray:

I’m at 18 months (+ change) sober and am not yet able to recognize happiness in myself, but life is SO much better.
I’m pretty sure that I don’t have another recovery in me. This has to be it. I don’t forget that, every second every day. :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

10 days was the biggest win for me, then getting past 5 months to where that obsession was lifted was another big one and like @mleclaire I haven’t been able to look past much more than today its just too overwhelming. Still after almost 500 days without substances imagining NEVER getting loaded or tasting wine again is overwhelming to me. So… I don’t think about it, I think about today, thats it. Days just add up that way and milestones come and go.

3 Likes

Exactly, sometimes my day is splited in 2 or more, and I restart my day the times it makes sense. Do everything, but everything to keep sober

2 Likes