“Quit like a woman” book talk

As I think you know, SAME! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes! I’m so glad you are here, Jene. I struggled for years. Thank god I kept trying!

2 Likes

Yes, many years ago. It was helpful as I recall. :slightly_smiling_face:

There are so many!! Library is key to not going broke!

1 Like

Just a book for those messy days🙌

1 Like

What is that one about?

Welcome @Mama4994. Quit lit is my jam. I love reading about other people’s lives and the beautiful changes sobriety brings. Here is the stack I keep that I’ve enjoyed.

And here is my copy of Quit Like a Woman all dog eared up. I will pick it back up tonight after work to see what resonated with me.

I’m glad you’re here.

9 Likes

If you like memoirs, my two absolute favs are:

Between Breaths, Elizabeth Vargas
Lit, Mary Karr

3 Likes

I’m going to have to order some of these. I am really liking the books. I’m a pretty private person so I’m not ready just yet for AA. This is the longest I have gone without a drink in a year so I’m going to keep my nose in the books for now I guess lol.

3 Likes

The Caroline Knapp book is a little dated FYI. It’s nostalgic for me because I read it waaay back in my 20s when I first started to think I had a problem. Blackout by Sarah Hepola is also worth a read. I keep buying that one and lending it out to people.

3 Likes

You can sit in on online meetings, AA, SMART, Recovery Dharma, etc. You can keep your camera off and just put “Just listening” in your Zoom Square. You can be as engaged as you like. Just like on here, putting voices to stories is as helpful as books. It is a rare meeting that I sit in on that I don’t bring away some tidbit, or story that mirrors my own.

6 Likes

Even when the story is so VERY different from my own I can still relate in some way. Usually it’s the feeling not good enough or shame or similar. In many ways we are all the same. :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

I will have to look into that. I might like to try it that way. I feel that if I see someone there that I know I wouldn’t be as open as I should be and with Social Media I don’t want someone who knows my husband to recognize me. I’m still feeling the shame of it all. So privacy is my thing right now.

1 Like

I do like memoirs. They keep my attention more. Chapter 3 in quit like a woman (the Big Tobacco/ Big Alcohol chapter) was kind of slow moving for me.

I’m re-reading my dog eared pages before work today. It’s nice to see what spoke to me then and what still speaks to me now. I dog eared some in the big tobacco pages but my first one that still resonates is pg. 100 “If we hope to heal, we must address these primary wounds that make the home that is ourself unlivable”.
:heart:

4 Likes

I will have to find a quote for you

1 Like

Did you see Laura has a new book coming out? She also just popped up on a retreat listing in NC. Thought of you!!

https://bookshop.org/p/books/push-off-from-here-nine-essential-truths-to-get-you-through-sobriety-and-everything-else-laura-mckowen/18754906

I’ve preordered the book and am considering the retreat. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love her other book. I thought about the retreat, but a lot of $ (once you add in lodging) for basically 2 nights/ 1 day of retreat. Tho restorative yoga is my 2nd favorite practice. But I am intrigued.

1 Like

Yes, she is a really good writer. She also has a sub stack she promotes on IG. I haven’t gotten into sub stack as I have plenty to read. I’m going to do a retreat at some point this year. Spiritual or sobriety focused, one in the same for me : )

If you’ve done any cool retreats, I’d love some recs. I’m going to ask about it in the TLC board as well.

4 Likes