Quiting weed

Quitting the pot so i can maybe get new job. Got a cdl been on the weed whole time. Got by with fake pee. Time to get clean just finished day 1. It was tough live with fiance uses pot medicinally. Any advice will help. Currently subsituting with alchohol. Not much of a drinker. Had one beer tonight. I am a cheap date

1 Like

Welcome! Substituting one for another, not a great path in my experience. Is there a particular reason you feel the need? I imagine the drinking might not be great for a career in driving.

Why not give dropping it a go instead?

Also, note that this is a sobriety forum. Posting under the influence (outside of our Seeking Help section) or talk encouraging drinking/using are not allowed, for the sake of those trying to abstain.

3 Likes

Hello!

First off, i wish you well! I am not going to sugar coat it, it is hard the first two weeks. I smoked for nearly 13 years, and experienced withdraw. I relapsed many times. I had bad cravings, brain fog, mood swings, terrible night sweats, headaches, anxiety, nightmares, and anger.
I exchanged weed for cigarettes ( i hated the smell, taste, basically everything) it was not the same, and actually made it all worse! So, finally i said to hell with it all. I am in control of my life and i can do this. I went through the rough patch and it was well worth it. After, about 14 to 21 days the fog lifted and i was not having mood swings. My brain was repairing itself and i felt better. My relationships were healthier and i enjoyed the moments life offered me.
So, what i am trying to say, is i suggest not replacing your bad habit with another bad habit. Allow yourself to feel what it is that keeps you from staying sober. Seek help for the trauma you have experienced. Its ok to ask for help! Life is rough. Do it for yourself and your future.
I drank a lot of water, ate healthy foods, tylenol in the a.m. and p.m., tried to sleep as much as i could, warm baths, being outdoors in the sun and fresh air, removing myself from triggers, and reminding myself that the sudden impulse to smoke would eventually go away in a few minutes. The more i told myself that, the less i seemed to have intrusive thoughts to smoke. It really is about rewiring the way your brain thinks and reacts to situations. It took about 120 days to rid the thc from my body. Now, i dont even crave for it. I hope the best for you.

4 Likes

Wish you the best of luck!

I am on day 43 of my 6th relapse. Been smoking it for about 34 years. Between everything i have been changing in my life quitting weed and trying not to run back to my food addiction has been my hardest and i have been failing on both. I struggle with them both.

I hope you are successful and get that job that you want.

3 Likes

Thanks for the input. I intended to have a beer or two to help fall asleep. Maybe had one or two since. Dont really like alcohol all that much.

I appreciate your input. Thank you all

My best advice as somebody who is getting off of medicinal marijuana and has been a habitual user for decades is to understand you might be a bit of a grumpy a hole and to not let that deter you. I also think that a better idea than substituting one external source of fleeting happiness for another is to try and focus on things that will get you more in depth satisfaction. I struggle with this I’m not going to lie I’m not a happy person I am emotionally erratic I have chronic neck and back pain I can’t sleep and without refer I also get night sweats and nausea, but I truly believe that hot or any habitually used substance diminishes our ability to have genuine experiences…

So it’s a lot of like passive appreciation and reflection and gratitude and focusing on actually doing things that may improve my life situation instead of daydreaming about possible better futures while half-assing the attempt.

I hope it works well for you, but remember that it’ll only work as well for you as you work fir you. Can’t hope for one life and live another without expecting mental static.

Take care, great job on day one!

2 Likes

I think substituting beer for pot is a bad idea. I smoked and vaped weed(had a Volcano) for 53 years. In rehab I was thinking well I am finally off opiates I can still vape weed,right? Wrong wrong oh so wrong. I was definitely like that Marilyn Manson song I don’t like the drugs but the drugs like me. I had/have to be 100% honest with myself. Weed used me I didn’t use weed so I quit. I guess it was easy for me because I really was sick and tired of being sick and :tired_face: tired. I’m not an advice giver but maybe my story can help you understand if a long time user like me can stop anyone can. You may have to white knuckle it at first but over time you’ll see your unstoned mind is beautiful. And for me because I was going through 2 oz a month I have a lot more disposable income. Glad you are here @Eighteen22s this is a supportive community. I check in daily. It is an important part of my sobriety.

2 Likes

I agree! You’re so correct!! I lacked genuine experiences, and that is what caused so many relationship issues with many of my family and friends. I had a difficult time with aligning my emotions with particular situations. I was basically just existing in life. Its nice to exist in present time, rather than dazzed out.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree with you more!

So I just got this book in the mail yesterday evening

I feel like this paragraph is relevant to our conversation

With sober people i feel it’s talking about the way the egoic mind is always looking forward and depriving us of a possible joy we could have right now just by existing in the present moment but when we look at us addicts or substance abusers you we can see how we’re always somewhat detached and distracted either by the continual want of the substance or by the altered mental state in the substance creates and in essence we are hobbling ourselves in our life Journey if our destination goals are intrinsic contentment or genuin experiences.

I hope you are doing well today and you are all good sober day

1 Like

Kdog,

This day in age, i think a lot of people wish days away. The human races tends to want more and more. Nothing ever seems to be good enough for long. I am continuing to work on that with myself. To be present and enjoy each day for what it brings. Its easy to let time pass you by. More times than not, i have found myself appreciating moments after they have happened, then during the moment. I have a lot of “why didnt i do this differently” when i had the oppurtunity at my finger tips.
Thank you for sharing that message with me. It definitely shined light on a different perspective. I think i should add your book to my reading list. And, i am sticking with it. Remaining sober! :slight_smile: My daughter and I went for a nice hike today, and enjoyed some nice views! How was your day?

1 Like

Overall it is a good day. I don’t know if you’ve ever heard the books The Power of Now but I use the audible book version for that and found that to be fairly groundbreaking. Also thanks somebody who’s used more recovery darhma/refuge recovery approach than AA I have found the tenants of Buddhism to be instrumental in my sobriety.

1 Like

(Just a nudge that while y’all are sharing some really helpful stuff here, we’re getting on a sidetrack from Eighteen22s’s original post.)

Hope you find what you need here, @Eighteen22s!

51 day clean from weed after my 6th relapse!

Been smoking since i was 17 and i just turned 51 a few months back. It has been a sun up to sun down way of life for me. Always thought :thought_balloon: i never had a problem with it until I started my new journey of life September 2016, with my ways of eating and exercising. Was a 300lbs. woman once i had that( so i thought) under control I started to heal within(my mind) then things lead me to my alcohol & weed use.

I am 1y 11d clean of alcohol, i never really got heavy with that until about 5-6 yrs ago. I come from a long line alcoholic’s plus i was a victim of a drunk driver when i was only 4.5yrs old so, needless to say i learned at a young age about alcohol and tried my hardest to stay away from it but my social drinking caught up with me and my mental health.
I am now a sober alcoholic of 1 yr.

Now my weed is a whole other circus :circus_tent: I juggle with on a daily basis. Before I stated smoking weed i was also smoking :smoking: too! I can say i am happily :smoking: smoke free 8y 3m but this D*** weed has got me like a cowboy :cowboy_hat_face: have a cow :cow: tied up in a rodeo!!! Also sometimes i feel like a bunch of clowns :clown_face: in a 3 ring circus :circus_tent: in my head when my cravings hit me which is nearly every single D*** DAY!!!
Not being able to get out and do your #1 outlet is extremely frustrating. You can only do so much being stuck in our house :house_with_garden: being a 24/7 caregiver for you special needs brother. Yes i do get help, but that has been a battle i wont get into cause that triggers me to the moon :new_moon_with_face: and back a few times.

This weed quitting thing really sucks and it’s for the Wild E. Coyote & Road Runner to play with!!!

Ok,
Thats my rant and what my sober day is feeling like today.
Thanks for reading :open_book: :call_me_hand:t2::orange_heart: