Quitting cannabis and alcohol starts in Lockdown

Hi, so I’ve decided to start this journey as I’ve found during lockdown I have drank more. I quit cannabis 7days ago as I don’t want to smoke tobacco anymore, I also know I am more productive/awake without the weed. I haven’t drank for 2 days.

I only ever drank alcohol (if at all) on a weekend but smoked weed everyday. Since quitting weed I drank more, almost everyday in the last 6 weeks. Sometimes one G&T, sometimes 5.

I want to not be reliant on either substance and would like to see how long I can do without alcohol. I know the health benefits and have always ignored them as I do enjoy a drink but now I’m ready to see how life is without either.

Anyone have a similar story?

3 Likes

I can relate. I too smoked weed everyday for years up until 5 days ago. I’m having a lot of cravings now. Not just for weed but for alcohol, cigarettes, cupcakes… anything really. I’m afraid if I take a drink I’ll just end up switching my addiction to alcohol.

2 Likes

I had a non alcoholic beer today and it stopped me craving. But I also baked ginger biscuits at 11:30 last night as I was craving some treats!

1 Like

I’m hanging in there, I wish you well on your journey :+1:

2 Likes

Similar story in terms of being a daily pot smoker and currently quitting. I’ve smoked weed for 22 years, with intermittent month-long pauses, or weekend abstentions, but this time I want to take it a lot farther. Like you, my tendency when quitting smoking is to drink more, and I’ve done a pretty good job of regulating my drinking to one per night, with occasional (once a week? Every other week?) heavier drinking nights. Ultimately I want to quit drinking too, but I didn’t feel like I had the will-power to do both at once, so I’m starting with weed, and now I’m at 24 days sober from it. It’s much easier now, I haven’t really craved it since the first week and a half. But probably about once a week I’ll think to myself “Ugh, this would be so much more enjoyable if I were stoned.” But the feeling passes pretty quickly. Unfortunately, sometimes I make it pass by having a beer instead. Oh well, one step at a time, am I right?

1 Like