Quitting Weed or just a break?

I am 18 years old and have been smoking weed since I was 14. I know that seems like a short amount of time and that I shouldn’t be having these problems. The thing is I come from a very weed positive home. My parents were who I first smoked with ect. These past few months I have been experiencing negative side effects. I have terrible derealization,anxiety,depression and overall just not in a good headspace. Also physical effects such as the shakes,amnesia,hard to catch my breath and panic attacks while smoking. All of these things have led up to me deciding to quit. (6 days so far)

I need advice. My mom says that I really didn’t smoke that much and it’s not like I am an addict with an addiction. To me I feel that way but I don’t know. Is it best to quit for good or do I just need a break for awhile?I have been feeling so much better mentally but the cravings make me rethink my decision. Please help!!!

9 Likes

Hey, I know a lot of families like yours. The whole family smokes together. Usually everyone is in denial that you can actually become addicted to weed. Which is just crazy. I think if you’re feeling so much better, you should probably try and stick it out. I personally can’t smoke because it causes me awful anxiety. It just doesn’t seem worth it. It’s too bad your mom isn’t more supportive. But try to do what is right for you. Hope this helps a little. Take care.

5 Likes

You’re young to have to figure this out but hopefully that might save you wasting some of the time the rest of us have as we’ve gotten older with our addictions!

I went to one of the best universities in the world and lived with a guy who had to drop out at 19 years old because weed caused him such impossible anxiety. We never heard from him again. I smoked for a while myself but got so out of it in Amsterdam on bubble hash that my ability to think properly was toast for weeks after- that was the last time.

It’s your life. You’re describing symptoms of addiction and mental instability which weed is known to provoke in young people especially. Do yourself a favour and stay sober- enjoy your life!

Good luck

4 Likes

Do not let your mother gaslight you. Whether it’s out of ignorance or denial does not matter.

Weed is addictive.

Weed will cause mental health issues like paranoia and psychosis if consumed long enough. That’s a medical reality. Read up on it, there’s papers published about it.

You’re young, your brain is still developing and being affected by this. :woman_facepalming: Your parents giving you weed is child abuse. But that’s besides the issue rn.

Trust yourself and trust others whom you’ll hear from here, who’ve given it up. Do not trust someone who is addicted themselves and hands it out to kids.

Welcome here. You’ll be ok. You can stop. Much love.

10 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober Madi. I’d say just quit for now. Forever is too long anyway for us to consider. You’re still young and you need your brains to develop further, without interference of weed or any other drug. And it’s a one day at a time thing for all of us.

I smoked pot and hash since age 13 and I only quit at 49. Last decade it only gave me paranoia and anxiety and I still continued, so well was my brain trained to crave it when I didn’t smoke. Fucked up a big part of my life.

Never again. But don’t mind that never part. Just don’t smoke today. You see the negative effects yourself. You don’t need that in your life. I’m glad you’re here with us Madi. We can’t do it alone, we need people who are in the same boat as us. We all are here. We know the deal. Glad to have you aboard and all success on your journey!

7 Likes

Good for you for realizing you needed a change.
As the saying goes, you do you, and let them do themselves.

Good for you for standing up for yourself and going counter to your household.

ODAAT One day at a time.

Find good healthy behaviors that you’re interested in, that inspire you to be your best drug free you.

Welcome to your support group.
Continue posting and talking about how you feel and how you’re doing.

3 Likes

Marijuana is an addictive drug with both short and long term side effects. You are currently experiencing some of them. It is frankly sad that you were raised in a home and condones drug use, but I can tell that on your own you see a way out of this darkness.

You are only 18 and have a chance to change the direction of your life. Do you want your future and legacy to be defined by being a pothead or by you being able to achieve everything that you are capable of and want to accomplish?

3 Likes

Hi there love. For me, when I quit drinking I had people tell me my drinking wasn’t that bad. My family and some close friends. The thing is though, that was because some of them drank more than me and couldn’t look at their own usage honestly. Which, it was never about them anyway…it was about me doing what’s best for me. And it was taking from my life, not adding to it. At that point, what good does it do to continue doing something that isn’t allowing us to be our best? Especially if we just continue doing it because of others opinions? We don’t need their approval to decide to improve our lives. They see things through their own foggy lenses and sometimes we just want ours cleansed more and that’s ok. I’m proud of you!! You’ve got an opportunity to do things different for different results. Quitting smoking weed was harder for me than quitting drinking but it’s been SOOOO worth it. I’m glad you’re here. Hugs! :heart:

4 Likes

So happy you are here and asking tough questions of yourself and life!! That says a lot, especially at your age. :purple_heart: What a gift to be able to see a change is needed. :purple_heart: A lot of people said, ‘I wasn’t that bad.’ ‘They didn’t see me as having a problem.’ But they didn’t live in my head. We get to make our own decisions and choices and family doesn’t always know best, especially when they are still using. Would they say, ‘It is only a bit of fentanyl, don’t worry’? I doubt it.

You know in your heart what you need and want for a healthy you and life. Follow your instincts. The cravings are telling you that you are letting go of an addictive substance…it is hard, but you are strong and you know this is best for YOU.

As for forever, I like to focus on right now and how much clearer I feel when I am free from drugs/alcohol. I have gained so much self love and lost so many bad thoughts in sobriety…I wish that for you as well. It doesn’t magically solve life’s challenges, but it does give us the clear head and strength to tackle them head on and be proud of our selves. :purple_heart::purple_heart::people_hugging::purple_heart::purple_heart:

6 Likes

I feel you on the “seems like a short amount of time” and being told i dont seem to rly have an addicton bc i had only been smoking for abt like 5 months but tbh i think my adhd plays a big part n why its so hard for me to un attach from it yk?. But im still getting the loss of appetite,bad depression,headaches/migraines constantly but ik this jus a mental battle so i gotta keep pushing. Hopefully i can make it to the 1 month mark thats my goal for rn then if i can do 1 i can do 2 right🤣 thats how i gotta look at it at least…anways enogu of my ranting stay strong brother its jus a mental battle we can get through this🙏🏽

1 Like

Plus smoking anything is terrible for your lungs. I gave myself lung issues w weed and I still struggle to quit smoking it. So if that doesn’t answer the question if it’s addictive or not idk what wiill.

1 Like