Random Rants

How in the world am I going to abstain from alcohol when I have an AH?

I went on a visit to see friends for a couple.of days and no drinks, yay me! I get home and bam…3 days gone. Apparently on the way home I picked up Noro virus and have been so sick that I could barely eat or drink…again yay me, no drinks. Then last night my AH couldn’t stand not having alcohol and went and bought a bottle. He gets home and says if you want a drink, go ahead! WTH?

I didn’t drink any, but here is the weekend and I worry! I prayed to God that he and the Holy Spirit help me and I believe that’s why I got sick as a way to say no. I keep praying but I know I have to do my part too!

Sorry for the rant. I had to get that off my chest!

4 Likes

Asking for help implies accepting the form it comes in!

What is AH?

Alcoholic husband.

I understand that this is not the optimal situation and environment to get sober, but as long as he’s not pouring booze down your throat against your will, it’s still your choice. If he takes issue with that, that is his problem, not yours.

Its one thing Ive learned is that we can only control our own actions and no one else has the ability to control our actions.

Side note, I dont have my glasses on and I thought the topic was “Random Pants”. I am only mildly disappointed. :wink:

7 Likes

Lol!!! That’s funny!

1 Like

There are a lot of us that live with others that are not in recovery. I look this as my own personal journey. I make choices for my life separate from others in the same household. I always have my own alcohol free drinks ready in fridge or coffee, tea, etc. I know many women in the program with partners that still drink or use. I am my own person. I like waking up without regrets and a clear head. :unicorn:

3 Likes

You asked for help, and you think it came in the form of sickness. The sickness allowed you to say no. I say no to this interpretation. You asked for help, and you were able to stay sober while you were I’ll because you acted in the best interest of your body as it healed. Alcoholism is a disease just like your recent virus. You were shown you can stay sober for 3 days with the virus. Show you can stay sober every day with a lifelong disease. Then it doesn’t matter what your husband or friends do. You stay sober so you don’t feed disease.

4 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m sorry you feel that way. I believe God uses whatever is needed to put us on the path we ask for help with.
No debating God’s grace and mercy when we believe in Him and his precious Son who died for my sins.

2 Likes

Perhaps I explained it too vaguely. God is indeed showing you your strength. You stayed sober to heal from one illness; you can do it for another. You asked for help, and He showed you your strength. I am not belittling this call and revelation. I am trying to show you how profound it is. Nothing but love to you. I am sorry if you were offended. :two_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying that for me! Blessings to you!

Phillipians 4:13
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”

I did it with smoking two years ago and I remember the struggle in the beginning. Struggling with this one, but I’ll make it!

@Dazercat has the experience of living with a partner who still drinks. He has a great thread

Are you affected by a loved one who is an addict?

1 Like

Yes! I only disagreed with the part about God answering your call by giving you sickness. I think he gave you the knowledge you can stay sober and heal. You did it for 3 entire days. He’s showing you it’s possible to do more.

Not to argue my point, I didn’t say he made me sick. I believe he allowed me to be sick to show me I could do it.

1 Like

Just wanted to share that I made 5 days! It was a bit of a struggle today, but I did it!!!

4 Likes

One day at a time

1 Like