Really need to get a grip on this. Day one, again

Yeah I drag my heels on the meeting side of it, not sure why. Will keep checking in here for sure! Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. I definitely found joy in my sobriety after initial boredom. I’ve got to get thru these few days first then start a proper plan for myself. In honesty, i thinki was never happier than whilst sober. Thanks for your kindness.

3 Likes

So glad you found your way back and are doing this for yourself now. I absolutely can relate to life events and emotional lows being a huge challenge in life, and I hope you’ve learned that drinking about it simply doesn’t help anything. When you start feeling better, it could be helpful to journal about what happened and how you can deal with the tough life things in the future. If you’re into journaling, that is! It always helped me :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m going to work on being open more. I don’t journal or talk very openly about things as I hold a hell of a lot of shame and self protective stubbornness around me. I think if I let one crack show the whole house is gonna fall. But it’s caging me in. Maybe I should journal… thanks Rosa. Looking forward to seeing all your delicious food and plants more!

1 Like

we must keep reminding ourselves this!! over all other things…… such as reminding ourselves that we messed up, don’t know how to do life, hurt ourselves and others……(those things are of course important to recognize and accept so that we are clear on the dangers of the substance we’ve become accustomed to consuming) yes of course we must consider them, and we do, very much! too much perhaps! how about let’s not ruminate on that anymore? how about let’s ruminate on how much happier we are sober. let’s ruminate on how strong and brave we are to practice something new and difficult! let’s ruminate on how beautifully sensitive we are to feel so deeply, how that makes us so creative and thoughtful. ruminate on how lucky we are to have this community, on how fortunate we are to still be breathing and have another chance at proving our devotion to this daily practice and bettering our lives and the lives of those around us :heart: i am with you!!

I absolutely relate to this! I still struggle at times. Loving kindness meditations and readings also have helped me. And if you start journaling just for you, not sharing it with anyone, you’ll get the ball rolling. It’s definitely good to see you posting here!

1 Like

Definitely agree. It’s insanely whack that wholesome pleasures are not held front and foremost in life. We forget play and nature and the simple things that brought us immense joy as children. I felt lighter sober, like it peeled off a layer of weight. Mmm, yes, a lot to look forward to.

1 Like

Yeah I think I have some fears and triggers about my mom reading my entire diary and forcing information out of me I was very uncomfortable sharing. No boundaries at all and she is also the cause of my estrangement issues with family. I’ve basically no family at all now, estranged from father for past 25 years plus.

It’s hard to not feel the pivotal axis of so much neglect; the reason, the common factor, not enough, hateful, not loveable. I think those questions ask more of me than I can cope answering.

2 Likes

maybe has nothing to do with you and everything to do with their own pain and lack of emotional regulation skills. when i’m overwhelmed with questions about the origins and reasons for my trauma and can’t cope with trying to answer them, i reduce it to one: “what can i do for myself right now that will make me feel better than they made me feel?” :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

totally get this - me too. I’ve heard that you can do an on line meeting with the camera and microphone off so that you just listen - haven’t tried this myself but thought i would throw that out there.

Great job on day 2 my friend - we are all here for you so reach out if things get to be overwhelming.

2 Likes

Online meetings really helped me in the early stages too. I also eased into it, just listening with mic and camera off, then sharing with camera off, then finally sharing with camera on. With online you can try various types from the comfort of your own sofa!

2 Likes

I have attended many many WIM marathon 24/7 ones this way least time. Do you do localised online ones? Ty

1 Like

I can see how that would work, I’m just quite shy about my feelings IRL . I think my fear of being upset stops me from actually ever getting close to upset, if that makes sense. Managed to steer clear of therapy for years…

1 Like

love your new profile pic :wink:

I have not done any meetings myself but did download the “in the rooms” app and the “everything aa” to have meetings available for me if I need them. I have been so focused on this site that I haven’t used them yet but it’s good to know that both offer a vast variety of meetings.

1 Like

O need to get a grip too, tired of relapsing and letting myself and god down. Struggling with free will. Why is dope always a green light? Although, i learn something from failure and try to come back stronger. My longest recovery ws 18 months. I know i can earn that again. One day at time, working my recovery instead of working my disese.

3 Likes

Yes, I am the same, but at the beginning did do about three meetings a day on WIM. Sunflowers are so pretty, right?

That’s wonderful, 18 months is remarkable. Keep going :muscle:

1 Like

So right – they are the HAPPY flower. I could never grow them in my yard but am grateful that so many places in town have wild sunflowers all over. Just brightens up my day :sunflower: :heart:

I think you are doing great so far - just keep showing up for yourself each day - we are right here along side you.

1 Like

Addiction is evil and can have a very strong physical / emotional hold on us. You did get to 18 months before - what did you do - what tools helped - buckle down with those and possibly add in a few more. A good support system is key as we can not do this journey alone.
This is a great community filled with loads of support - take time to read the threads and join in. ODAAT working your recovery is an amazing attitude - stay strong :muscle:

3 Likes

Congratulation for standing up and seeing that you want better for you and yours. We all DESERVE as good a life as we can get. When we want that better life, then we banish from it the robbers that steal the goodness from it. Sounds like you’re tired of being a shivering denizen of King Alcohol. Time to stage your revolt. Good luck and stay IN the herd… Nothing promotes sobriety like communicating with sober peeps.

1 Like