Recovering or Recovered?

Have we recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of body and mind or are we always going to be recovering?

What I really have is a daily reprieve contingent upon getting better at getting better everyday.

In my past I have cut myself slack once reaching a certain point. It never failed that my complacency would sneak up on me. I’d lose sight of what was really important, what is truly of value, once I had it boiled down to some small goal.

The world is so much bigger than that. So I strive to ponder each day how to best live for something greater. One day at a time.

9 Likes

For me it’s recovering, because I will never be “cured”.

4 Likes

This. As the Squirrel noted, all I got is today. While I may have recovered from that hopeless state of body and mind today, I am not recovered. My sobriety is contingent upon my continued spiritual growth which should always be in process or this Goat will be back to that hopeless state of incomprehensible demoralization.

For Goat, this always makes me think of this passage from As Bill Sees It:

We Cannot Stand Still

In the first days of A.A., I wasn’t much bothered about the
areas of life in which I was standing still. There was always
the alibi: “After all,” I said to myself, “I’m far too busy with
much more important matters.” That was my near perfect
prescription for comfort and complacency.

<< << << >> >> >>

How many of us would presume to declare, “Well, I’m sober
and I’m happy. What more can I want, or do? I’m fine the way
I am.” We know that the price of such self-satisfaction is an
inevitable backslide, punctuated at some point by a very rude
awakening. We have to grow or else deteriorate. For us, the
status quo can only be for today, never for tomorrow.
Change we must; we cannot stand still.

1. GRAPEVINE, JUNE 1961
  2. GRAPEVINE, FEBRUARY 1959
6 Likes

I am having only 2,5 months sober from alcohol. I am doing my best to remember why I do not need alcohol. And so far I do not feel I want it. I can see no reason for drinking. But if I would ever drink again I would take it as step back from “Recovered” to “Need recover -> Recovering”.
I personaly can see a difference between time when I was recovering. I was fighting the taste that time. Now I am in state of mind where I understand my situation better and I do not see an alcohol like something what I want anymore. So I feel recovered :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m Yoda-Stevie, and I approve this message.

6 Likes

Speaking for myself… i will always want a drink I’ll just learn better coping mechanisms. But since I will always want drink I think I’ll never be “recovered”.

3 Likes

Definitely no. And by the time you will probably find out that if you had a problem to drink like a normal person you will always end up drinking like not a normal person. I am sorry. This is how I have got here… I tried 1mil. times.

1 Like

The second I start thinking I am recovered is the second I talk myself into a drink.
I will always be a recovering alcoholic. Today my disease is in remission. Tomorrow? I’ll let you know then :wink:

5 Likes

Recover, definition

1. To return to a normal state of health, mind, or strength.
  2. To find or regain possession of (something stolen or lost).

Alcoholics Anonymous, page xiii
“We … are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.”

I am recovered. I have returned to a normal state of mind and health, I have regained possession of my faculties and emotions. I am no longer in a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.

This is not an a state that does not require maintenance. I work on it daily, in spiritual, mental and bodily practices.

I don’t know which day it was that I crossed the lines from sick to recovering to health. But they are crossed and I am recovered. I am enjoying permanent sobriety. And I work at it. Every. Damn. Day.

5 Likes

After 33 years im not recovered shite lol

2 Likes

@Ray_M_C_Laren you’re the man :facepunch: and lol

1 Like

I am recovering, but at some point I will be recovered from this, god will decide that day. Now like any disease that can be cured I will still go to my chech up appointments (meetings). For me, my god is all powerful and can heal the lame and sick, So when he decides to do that, if he does. I will proclaim I am recovered. I will meet at His house with my brothers, have fellowship and a good meal. I will learn about who I am and share my struggles with other who are like me. I may be recovered from substance abuse, but I am not perfect so I’ll go on to work on another aspect of myself that needs attention.

I am recovering and I believe we will be recovering till the day we die.