Recovery comes above all else

At one point I used to shake my head when people talked about their recovery. I would think recovery from what? A good time?. I thought using the term recovery to explain you no longer do drugs was dumb. It’s funny how things change I’ve done every extreme I said ide never do. I’ve let happen shit I swore ide never let happen. Addiction literally takes everything from you, your possessions, your family, your kids, your friends, your self respect, your humanity. Addiction leaves you alone, broken, jaded to the point where you can struggle to feel anything anymore just numb to the world. It starts off fun but Addiction eventually brings you so much pain and loss in every aspect of life. I no longer roll my eyes at the term recovery because that’s exactly what it is its recovering from some of the most traumatic shit anyone can go through. I lost jobs, family, friends, everything I ever owned, everything I ever cherished, i even lost my kids. All of that hurts with a sting that is unexplainable. You think about it every day. And the trauma of it stays with you no matter how many groups you go to, no matter how much therapy you do, no matter how many coping skills you use. That trauma is a part of you and shapes you for ever. I cherish my recovery. I cuddle it every night lol. My recovery is literally the only fucking thing I truly have in this world. Yeah I got the job, the car, the friends, the place to stay and all these good things. But that’s just a symptom of my recovery. Without my recovery I wouldn’t have any of that shit. So everyday I have decisions to make, paths to take and the first and foremost thing on my mind when I chose a path or make a decision is how will this effect my recovery. Because at the end of the day over any and all else my recovery is truly the only thing that fuckin matters to me.

14 Likes

Amazing description of true recovery. Thank you for sharing and well done on your incredible journey x

Great post… im 778 days into my recovery… …i still say to this day that all the things i have now…my daughter, my partner, my family, my friends, my home, my pets…everything good in life simply could not be possible without my recovery so my recovery remains and always will remain my top priority because without that i would have nothing else. Its giving up that one thing to gain everything. Thank you for such a great post friend :heart:

4 Likes

Wonderful post. Print it out and read it every morning. Keep the good flowing in and good things will happen.