Recovery Dharma Thread

I appreciate you sharing this because it’s been a repetitive thought I keep coming back to. It has been easy to refer to working on “personal development,” “self improvement,” “being a better version of myself,” and other similar descriptions of this journey. Sometimes I get stuck feeling like I’m not doing enough or I’m not “good enough,” which causes more harm than good. However, I’ve read some stuff recently that talks more about having everything we need within us already and that it’s more about self exploration. I like the use of the word “awakening,” too. Nice!

And I love this right here:

5 Likes

I always felt like I lost the guy I was before I started drinking. Truth is…he was just as much an alcoholic as I am now…I think I am finally ok with being me.

1 Like

That’s a grand achievement right there.

1 Like

I think it’s a really valuable point, personally.
A friend of mine will sometimes tell me about me not being at my best a couple of years ago when I was struggling with depression, and that I’m a lot better now, but I believe I was at my best then. I was trying my hardest to survive and literally doing the best I could, but I was still struggling. That was not my fault, and I don’t think of myself as being a different person between now and back then. I’m glad that I was sober at the time (I relapsed at some point after the depression lifted) as I feel a good sense of clarity in this regard.

4 Likes

from “Recovery Dharma: How to Use Buddhist Practices and Principles to Heal the Suffering of Addiction” by Recovery Dharma -

“As newcomers, most of us would be satisfied with simple damage control. We want to stop harming ourselves or others in particular ways.”

Been struggling with what to say to newbies on here. It’s a cycle thing for me…I get gabby…then I lose my words. Started re-reading Recovery…and this stood out…

2 Likes

from “Modern Buddhism: Buddha’s Ancient Teachings For The Modern Person” by Devean Chase -

“In what way do you imagine your own happiness? In the past, what has your happiness been caused by? In the future, what do you imagine will bring you happiness? Do you envision a single moment or person or possession that will make it last forever?”

“Can you remember though, how long these moments of happiness last? These moments are fleeting. They leave you longing for more.”

I am on vacation. Ms. Monkey is working and her daughter is over here, as she gets to work from home today.

She is figuring that she will be proposed to in less than 36 days…depending on the moment she isnt happy with her future fiance…because she seems to always be chasing happiness and her notion of it.

While I wish it was just her, it gave me pause listening to her today…we all chase happiness…how often does it leave us feeling unfulfilled at some point

6 Likes

I love this so much. The difference between striving / doing and being.

We are so taught that once we xyz we will be ‘better’. Moving away from the striving and feeling not enough…being on the perpetual path of ‘fixing’ our selves. Lots of big stuff there to sit with.

I am so grateful for this thread.

5 Likes

@Lois maybe some other resources to help you on your way!

1 Like

Not to derail but I cannot recommend Awakening Joy by Baraz and Alexander enough. I’m halfway through and every morning spent reading feels like a little Zen hug. It takes you though Buddhist principles explained with testimonials in an effort to open your heart to joy. It makes my soul feel peaceful. I was even patient and kind with my most annoying co-worker and that NEVER happens.

4 Likes

I will add that to my list

4 Likes

from “Modern Buddhism: Buddha’s Ancient Teachings For The Modern Person” by Devean Chase -

“The Origin Of Unhappiness
The Buddha said:
“People cleave to their worldly possessions and selfish passions so blindly as to sacrifice their own lives for them. They are like a child who tries to eat a little honey smeared on the edge of a knife. The amount is by no means sufficient to appease his appetite, but he runs the risk of wounding his tongue.””

The last part hits me hard. Granted it isnt booze anymore…but I can still find that “honey” that a taste seems like a risk with taking…and it usually comes in the form of spending.

Looking at it like this…ridiculousness on my part

2 Likes

“I have witnessed many people, and you may be one of them, who become miserable with the state of the world. They find that they are unable to be happy while there is suffering all around. While there is poverty, corruption, and discrimination. It is partly because it is used as an excuse. They are aware of their own unhappiness, and it becomes easy to attribute this to the suffering of the world.”

Ms. Monkey and I were talking about this as we were on our way camping. How easy it seems to pin our mental state on world affairs. What happens in the world may affect us…but not all of it has to ruin our day…

6 Likes

Oof this is a tough one for me.

"When you read this book, when you read any book, your mind is disturbed. The past and your opinions have collected in your mind like dust. When you listen, you must put aside the past, put aside the opinions, and simply listen. Simply take in what is new. It is Einstein that says you cannot solve your problems with the same mind that you used when you created the problem. However, this is all you are doing. Using the same thinking mind that created your unhappiness to solve the problem of your unhappiness

I wish I could say this changed when I quit drinking. I still fall into this trap. Although, so much better…thinking back to my “problem solving” when I was drunk…is almost comical

5 Likes

@Hrm1987

Many programs out there…no one program is the right one

1 Like

I listen a lot to philosophy things atm. At one point happiness was discussed. I cannot remember who it said but it was something like the only way to he easily happy is to lower our expectations and needs to be happy. Gratitude is helping me a lot to find happiness in tiny things. What is i my way of happiness: wanting more. I already have so much.

2 Likes

Just download my first Recovery Dharma podcast!

(Don’t tell anyone, I have never ever listened to a podcast before…shhhhh!)

2 Likes

Namaste Brother. This thread is as much yours as mine or anyone else. Feel free to share as you wish.

Thank you for the kind words and prayer

1 Like

My sentiments right now. Yesterday my truck got sideswiped by a semi.

Ia babysitting dogs and got no sleep.

Life is still good.

People at work just couldn’t understand how I wasn’t pissed my truck being mangled didn’t upset me.

6 Likes

from “Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism” by Chögyam Trungpa, Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche -

“According to the Buddhist tradition, the spiritual path is the process of cutting through our confusion, of uncovering the awakened state of mind. When the awakened state of mind is crowded in by ego and its attendant paranoia, it takes on the character of an underlying instinct. So it is not a matter of building up the awakened state of mind, but rather of burning out the confusions which obstruct it.”

To me, this is tangible of what awakening is. Not sure If I could explain what I thought it actually was.

I think it’s the coupling of ego and paranoia. Both were huge parts of me as an alcoholic. While I wish I could say both are no longer an issue since I have been sober, I cannot. Ego, for the most part I can keep in check, and paranoia is gone with the exception of major things.

4 Likes