Recovery Dharma Thread

I will have to mill about this one in my mind today…dont know if how I processed it is right

from “Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism” by Chögyam Trungpa, Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche -

“If we become successful at maintaining our self-consciousness through spiritual techniques, then genuine spiritual development is highly unlikely. Our mental habits become so strong as to be hard to penetrate. We may even go so far as to achieve the totally demonic state of complete “egohood.””

I instantly go to my recovery when I read this. If, through my recovery…i think I can control anything…am I recovered?

I dont control anything. Life happens. Its ok to feel…but those feelings dont dictate how I live.

Hell, i cant even express what that passage made my brain do.

This reminds me of the very first thing I learned when I quit meth. The ONLY way to grow is to suffer! While it isn’t as eloquently put as the quote above the truth remains the same.

As I have read thru this thread I find myself that much more intrigued.

Thank you for sharing

4 Likes

Fill free to share as you go!

2 Likes

Ah I Love it thank you so very much. After this post I started throughout the day when I could to practice variations of loving kindness medi, and most recent the “May I be” to insert my intentions and goals and that is working really well at the moment. Both of those have always landed for me so long as I keep it up. Thank you for the links!!

3 Likes

I thought I shared it here. I stumbled over it during my yoga studies.

Thank you!!

1 Like

It is meant in no way as an offence. It is talking about some inner issues I felt and still feel in my road of recovery.

None taken.

1 Like

From a wise friend:

“World peace starts in us, at our level”

2 Likes

So, recently I was told to relax. That i had a"clinical" approach, like I was writing a research paper. While, I could see the point, and for the most part could agree with it…i couldnt see how ir was bad…so…i slowed down a bit and tried to “enjoy the ride”…read this today

from “Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism” by Chögyam Trungpa, Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche -

“The lord of speech is involved in spiritual practice as well. In following a spiritual path we may substitute a new religious ideology for our former beliefs, but continue to use it in the old neurotic way. Regardless of how sublime our ideas may be, if we take them too seriously and use them to maintain our ego, we are still being ruled by the lord of speech.”

“But contine to use it in the same old neurotic way”

Well sone of a b…
That is me
That is what i did in my last recovery program
That is what I do with everything.

Kinda glad i read this

Dont know where to go with it now! And i am resisting the urge to start pawing through books.

3 Likes

Certainly my go to for ‘figuring shit out’.

You got some good stuff there to sit with.

1 Like

The method that the Buddha discovered is meditation. He discovered that struggling to find answers did not work. It was only when there were gaps in his struggle that insights came to him. He began to realize that there was a sane, awake quality within him which manifested itself only in the absence of struggle. So the practice of meditation involves “letting be.”

I have so much trouble with meditation. I feel like, and this is probably far from true, that I have tried everything.

I just cant shut off my analytical mind…

3 Likes

There is no need to shut it off (spoiler…we cannot). Just observe it chattering away. “Ah, there is my mind chattering, I will return to my breath.”

For myself, I found the thought process linked to my breathe assisted. I think as I breathe in…

Breathing in

I think as I breathe out…

Breathing out

Repeat.

Our mind will go back to chattering, it is what minds do. We bring our selves back to our breath.

Breathing in…

Breathing out…

:heart:

4 Likes

I’ve just started reading a book about Vipassana developed my Goenka. One of my friends went on a ten day retreat in India. Sounds pretty awesome. I’m hoping to hit one up in the UK next summer.

As per @SassyRocks my understanding of meditation is that it isn’t about shutting anything off. Just awareness. Over time though, as we learn to recognise the chatter, I think it can start to quiet a bit. Or maybe we are just more aware of the times when the chatter is less.

Compassion for the chattering mind is important!

Says me who still hasn’t started meditating again :rofl:

2 Likes

There is a good Thich Nhat Hang/ plum village guided meditation like this. The bit I always remember, from the beginning, is

Breathing in, I know I am breathing in. Breathing out, I know I am breathing out.

Have probably posted on the forum somewhere before.

And the ‘Plum Village App’ channel on YouTube (or the actual app) is a wonderful resource in general.

4 Likes

This cracked me up!!

My daughter has been very into Vipassana over the years. A strong road to turn down!! India would be a dream, tho also a very strong reality.

1 Like

Started a new read and thought I’d share this lil pic of a section :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Thank you!!!

2 Likes

Thank you @les. This was my morning reading and wanted to share …

6 Likes

:metal: right on. I was talking about that pocketbook w a dude and we are now starting a little book club and first read is Pema c - wisdom of no escape which is where that little section came from :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes