Recovery Dharma: TS Sangha 2021

Haha well that will make it fun. It’s all extra opportunities to practice acceptance :wink:

Enjoy the meet. Going out to work now so alas.

1 Like

Darn, I’m missing out this time but looking forward to a future date!

1 Like

Sorry, I won’t be able to join as this is in my working hours. Enjoy the meetings. :innocent:

1 Like

Nice to meet you @Hailstrom ! How did you find it? @Tinele hope you enjoyed what you managed to stick around for while you were at the allotment! @emc2018 did you pop in at the start? Wasn’t sure.

I was totally distracted to start with trying to work out who might have come from TS :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I really love a lot about the bit of the book we read today. It’s a great summary of some of the core principles of Recovery Dharma.

Something I shared was in relation to the idea that “Recovery transforms how we show up for those around us.” (p. 71). It made me think about something that came up when I did a bit of Tara Brach’s Radical Compassion challenge in April -

The other thing that I didn’t share in the meeting, but have thought about after, is that reminder that the process of recovery (or awakening, maybe) is a lifelong thing. It’s about being mindful and making adjustments to the situations we find ourselves in. Because things do change. It’s something I’ve been trying to work out with my mental health… What does better look like? I suppose it will look like different things at different times. There’s no one right way, and what feels like the right thing at the moment might not in another week, month, year etc. So just got to go with the flow and come back to finding some peace in the idea that the future is never certain. It’s something I can find some comfort in but at the same time, it feels deeply unnerving.

2 Likes

Yes, nice to properly meet you too :grin:

I had a rare window of opportunity so I thought ‘seize the day!’ and logged in. Glad I did. It certainly helped knowing that a friendly and familiar face would be on the call. That’s the first time I’ve shared aswell which I’m happy about (even though I did feel like I was about to melt when I started talking :sweat:).

I struggled a bit with the meditation but that was no surprise to me. I haven’t been engaged in my practice this past month or so. It was always going to be a challenge. But simply taking the time to pause and acknowledge is always benificial regardless.

I’m going to see if there is anyway of attending these more regularly. Unfortunately it clashes with a work meeting which happened to be cancelled today. I’ll chat with my boss and see if there is any room for change. Even if I skip the odd meeting so I can attend. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

Thank you Sian, I really enjoyed it and am hopeful that I can see you in another meeting again soon :pray:t2:

2 Likes

I had similar thoughts aswell. That recovery is an ongoing approach to life, not a process with a clearly defined end. And is something that stretches far beyond the act of getting sober. I think this has a lot to do with why I experienced such a decline after my first year. Whether consciously or unconsciously, I had an expectation that there would be this final point to the process. A year seems like the most obvious time frame to put on it. Once I realised that wasn’t the case things began to unravel. Tbh it took me the best part of my second sober year to come to terms with that and not resent it.

5 Likes

Ditching the daughter and going to the allotment was a terrible idea, my phone overheated and crashed during the meditation :see_no_evil:. I’m away next week but will join Tuesday 10th August. This time at my laptop with mic and camera on! Nice to see a few faces at the start. See you all very soon! :blush: Lizzie

3 Likes

Me too. This was happening next to me…

:joy::joy::joy:

But just making time to sit, to try and come back from distractions, that’s what it’s all about!

So glad you were able to make it and it would of course be amazing if you could get to more in future but of course understand work can make that difficult. And fwiw your share was great, I really related to it.

4 Likes

Hi @siand , nope it wasn’t me, sorry. Unfortunately, 11pm on a work night is too late for me. I’m really busy with work at the moment and I’m not finding a lot of time for much else. Probably why I’m feeling so tired and stressed lately.
Will hopefully find some balance soon. :heart:

1 Like

Meeting today in about 10 mins - 1pm UK time - 6am Pacific time, 9am Eastern time, 11pm Australian Eastern time.

Zoom meeting details:

Tuesdays, 13:00 GMT (British Summer Time) join via this link

or use meeting ID: 558 318 4669 password: 12345

Today we will practice the Body Sensations meditation from the Recovery Dharma YouTube channel:

And read the section ‘What is Recovery Dharma?’ from the Recovery Dharma book , p. vii.

1 Like

I debated joining but had a work zoom at same time. Maybe one day! Thanks for sharing this, @siand :hugs:

1 Like

It would be wonderful if you could make it at some point!

If you get a chance to read the bit of the book or do the meditation and want to share any reflections that come up for you that would also be wonderful :sparkling_heart:

Something that often comes up in meetings, especially with people who are new to the program, is their difficulty in jiving with 12 step programs. Something I really like about Recovery Dharma is that it explicitly states that it is compatible with other paths to and programs of recovery. Some of the shares made me think about the 12 step/ not debates that happen here sometimes and the underlying similarities that run through all our recovery journeys, whether we follow a program or not. Awareness, acceptance, honesty, community…

Something else I’ve been reflecting on is the idea of trusting in my potential for awakening. It’s something I can get on a theoretical level but I’m not sure I’m there on a day to day basis yet. I’ve been approached about a two day a week job offer from a contact which on paper is what I’ve been looking for. But there’s some hesitancy there. I’m not sure what is behind it, something to meditate on! Maybe I can put my trust in my potential for awakening eventually, while still being unsure about what the next right thing to do is. I appreciate the reminder in the book that we are asked to recognise and accept that there will be some disappointment and pain in life. Not everything will work out perfectly and that’s OK.

4 Likes

Oh and for anyone who is looking at developing a daily meditation practice, here is a free course from Tara Brach and Jack Kornfield which I have signed up to:

3 Likes

Thanks for that Siand. Signed up. Might be a good help to my efforts.

I’m signed up, little irked not allowed to listen easily on my apple mobile device.

1 Like

I’ve been watching online on my windows laptop and it seems to work well that way!

1 Like

Meeting today in about 5 mins - 1pm UK time - 6am Pacific time, 9am Eastern time, 11pm Australian Eastern time. Will try and post the reminder earlier next week! The meeting will go on for an hour, all welcome to join at any time :slight_smile:

Zoom meeting details:

Tuesdays, 13:00 GMT (British Summer Time) join via this link

or use meeting ID: 558 318 4669 password: 12345

Today we will practice the Awareness of Sound meditation from the Recovery Dharma YouTube channel:

And read the section ‘Where to begin?’ from the Recovery Dharma book , p. xii.

2 Likes