Recovery Dharma: TS Sangha 2021

Continuing the discussion from Recovery Dharma: TS Sangha:

Recovery Dharma is a peer-led movement that uses the Buddhist practices of meditation, self-inquiry, wisdom, compassion, and community as tools for recovery and healing. The program is based on the idea that every one of us is our own guide in recovery from addiction, with the help and understanding of our wise friends and sangha (community).

Adapted from the Recovery Dharma website: www.recoverydharma.org

This thread is being created with the intention of discussing the Recovery Dharma book and offer support to anyone working through it.

I facilitate a weekly meeting on Zoom which everyone is welcome to join! I will also post the meditation and section of the book covered each week for shares, comment and discussion. For anyone who would like to work through the inquiries, we can set up a private message thread.

Zoom meeting details:

Tuesdays, 13:00 GMT join via this link

or use meeting ID: 558 318 4669 password: 12345

There are also a number of other meetings taking place with something available most days and times. Attendance at meetings is not a necessary part of engaging here although they are lovely and I would recommend trying one. A regular meditation practice, or the intention of cultivating one, is essential.

For meditation inspiration check out the Recovery Dharma book, the Sangha Support page of the Recovery Dharma website, the Recovery Dharma YouTube channel and the Talking Sober meditation thread.

Refuge does not arise in a particular place, but in the space within the goodness of our hearts. When this space is imbued with wisdom, respect, and love, we call it sangha. We hope that the pain of addiction, trauma, and feeling ā€œapartā€ actually leads us back toward the heart and that we might understand compassion, wisdom, and change ever more deeply. As we have learned from practice, great pain does not erase goodness, but in fact informs it.

May we make the best use of our practice, and whatever freedom arises from our efforts here today. May this be a cause and condition for less suffering and more safety in our world.

12 Likes

Iā€™m still interested. :slightly_smiling_face: What are the meetings like? Do you have to have your camera on or do any talking?

2 Likes

Hereā€™s my experience with RD meetings:

1. Any level of participation is fine. I often just listen (no camera or mic) and thatā€™s fine. Many people do that. Youā€™re also welcome to talk (with or without camera, your choice).

2. They start with voluntary introductions: if youā€™re comfortable you can unmute and say ā€œIā€™m (first name) calling from (location)ā€. If you donā€™t want to chime in, you donā€™t have to; thereā€™s no pressure.

3. Then there are some readings from the book that are usually done by people who volunteered before the meeting started.

4. A 15-20 minute guided meditation

5. Voluntary shares 3-5 minutes per person. This can be about the meditation, the readings, or anything you want to talk about. Some meetings do hand raising, some meetings do tag-pass. If you donā€™t want to share in the latter format, you can either just say ā€œpassā€ e.g., in the chat (some people also change their username to ā€œusername - just listeningā€)

Thatā€™s been my limited experience anyway. Happy to answer any questions if youā€™ve got them!

7 Likes

Too bad Iā€™m working most Tuesdays at that time so I wonā€™t be able to join in often. I do remember now that early in my recovery I got another Buddhist recovery book, Refuge Recovery, and being confused about there being two different ā€˜schoolsā€™ of Buddhist recovery. And then read about the split in the Buddhist recovery community and being disappointed about that. As in my mind Buddhists should be better human beings than the rest of us or something. Which I know is BS anywhere in any community and any walk of life. Humans are humans. But still I dropped the whole thing back then. Having refreshed my memory Iā€™m going to try again now. Thanks @siand

2 Likes

Iā€™m definitely keen. Will join next Tuesday (so long as I remember!)

1 Like

Yes pretty much like @icebear says :blush:

No need to have camera on or share if you donā€™t want to.

The Tuesday meetings are usually pretty small and low key, I run them so occasionally a bit haphazard :sweat_smile: tech issues, dog barking etc! But good opportunities to practice acceptance and compassion :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

There may be a possibility of a second day/ time - trying to coordinate something that works for everyone is likely impossible but it doesnā€™t hurt to have options.

Let me know if there are any days or times (e.g. morning, lunchtime, evening) that are particularly good or bad for you?

Also @mno @Hailstrom @emc2018 or anyone else who the Tuesday meeting is no good for. And will try and work out timezones :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes I know what you mean. As far as I can work out they are pretty similar, but RD didnā€™t want to be associated with Refuge cos of some controversy with the main guy. I just do RD cos thatā€™s the nearest group to me!

1 Like

Would be great to have you! If you set this thread to ā€˜watchingā€™ you will get notifications whenever someone posts here, which may or may not be what you wantā€¦! But I will post on the morning (UK time) with a reminder and details of the meeting topic to be covered that day :hugs:

1 Like

How do I set a thread to watching? Sorry, Iā€™m being thick!

This is what it looks like to me on the mobile app:

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Well that looks massively obvious, let me look now! :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Haha itā€™s one of those things thatā€™s easy when you know how! I only found out because someone else had written about it. Thanks for the screenshot @icebear ! :blush:

1 Like

Good morning wise friends! Meeting today at 1pm UK time - I think thatā€™s 6am Pacific time, 9am Eastern time, 11pm Australian Eastern time.

Zoom meeting details:

Tuesdays, 13:00 GMT (British Summer Time) join via this link

or use meeting ID: 558 318 4669 password: 12345

Today we will share the Appreciative Joy meditation from the Recovery Dharma YouTube channel:

And read the section ā€˜Recovery is Possibleā€™ from the Recovery Dharma book, p. 68.

All welcome :hugs:

1 Like

Morning! Iā€™m going to join but its school holidays so will have my mic off! :joy:

1 Like

Haha well that will make it fun. Itā€™s all extra opportunities to practice acceptance :wink:

Enjoy the meet. Going out to work now so alas.

1 Like

Darn, Iā€™m missing out this time but looking forward to a future date!

1 Like

Sorry, I wonā€™t be able to join as this is in my working hours. Enjoy the meetings. :innocent:

1 Like

Nice to meet you @Hailstrom ! How did you find it? @Tinele hope you enjoyed what you managed to stick around for while you were at the allotment! @emc2018 did you pop in at the start? Wasnā€™t sure.

I was totally distracted to start with trying to work out who might have come from TS :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like