Recovery Dharma: TS Sangha 2021

Damn, I’ve missed it, for the umpteenth week in a row :man_facepalming:t2: I’ve set the thread to watching but I have not been receiving notifications :thinking: Only happened to come across the thread again during a random browse today.

Ah next time! Although also feel free to jump in late, it’s 1-2pm, there are usually a couple that join in part way through :blush:

1 Like

Today we did this meditation from Thich Nhat Hanh/ Plum Village:

And read through p. 5 - 7 in the book (Walking in the Footsteps of the Buddha and The Truth: Dharma).

The first noble truth - there is suffering - has been on my mind a lot lately. The news of the plight of refugees in Afghanistan has made me think of all the others across the world going through something similar, the ones that don’t hit the headlines as well as the ones that do. I don’t usually follow the news but did have a look to see what was going on in Afghanistan as well as all the other things deemed newsworthy, it is easy to feel overwhelmed and helpless.

How to respond to this is difficult. Feeling the feelings, holding space and compassion for those affected doesn’t really feel like enough at first. But as I have reflected on it, holding that space has helped me to think about things I can do, and how I show up to people in my immediate sphere of influence (including myself) when they are experiencing suffering.

On a more personal level I have felt a bit disconnected from the concept of recovery recently. I’ve not been checking in or interacting here so much. Not meditating, doing yoga etc. So the bit of the reading, “This is a path of practice” jumped out at me. I feel solid in my sobriety but do believe that the path to awakening is one worth pursuing as a lifelong effort. Finding a way to integrate that into my life with the right intention and balance is something I haven’t figured out yet. But that’s OK. It will come :pray: :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

I found time today to do the meditation and reading which was good. I haven’t been meditating much recently, although I have found other ways to be mindful and meditative throughout the day. I enjoyed it and was able to connect surprisingly well. I have found that I have to move around and stretch to get the most out of meditation. Trying to be still doesn’t work for me, I get frustrated and distracted. If I allow myself to stretch when I need too, move my body around, it feels so much better. Pretty sure I nearly nodded of towards the end tho :upside_down_face:

I can relate to your feelings about the current situation in Afghanistan @siand. It has been on my mind a lot recently also. But I have been concious not to let myself be overwhelmed. Limiting how much of my attention I give, or more accurately, who I choose to give my attention to. To not be swept up in the politics which just detracts from the real tragedy of the situation. You are not alone in finding it difficult.

The part of the reading that stood out to me was -

‘Instead of deeply understanding suffering, we found ways to avoid it’.

But now we don’t do that. And it’s difficult to learn how to deal with it. And with so much suffering in this world currently, everywhere you look, it’s a mighty challenge. But being sober is our way of confronting that suffering, and looking for truth.

I try to apply the idea of impermanence to my recovery, or at least have done this past 6 months or so. That it will move and change, I don’t have to be rigid. What might help eleviate suffering one day, might not the next. I would often apply rules to it, meditate everyday at this time, you must do this exact amount of exercise each day, that kind of thing. The routine was good to begin with, kept me pushing forward, but it doesn’t suit me so much now. I’m trying to find that balance, trying to integrate these principles in to my everyday life. That’s the path I guess :pray:

4 Likes

Yes! This! It is so easy to become attached to some idea of past perfection, real or imagined, and chase that as a route to future happiness. Rather than just go with things how they are now…

1 Like

:pray:t2:

2 Likes

Meeting reminder - in a couple of hours!

Tuesdays, 13:00 GMT (British Summer Time) join via this link

or use meeting ID: 558 318 4669 password: 12345

@CATMANCAM @Tinele and anyone else who might like to join!

1 Like

@siand thank you so much for the tag and for the meeting :blush:

2 Likes

Sorry for late reply but so glad you made it! What did you think of it?

I was surprised that so many people didn’t share, maybe because it was a bit of a bigger meeting than usual. Sometimes it feels easier in a smaller group I guess.

1 Like

Meditation from Tuesday

And we read the first part of the First Noble Truth in the book :slight_smile:

Bumpy bump, less than an hour to go :slight_smile:

join via this link

1 Like

Only just seen this message, sorry. Thanks again for the reminder today and the meeting. It is very different following a mostly silent meditation, compared to the guided ones I’ve been doing on the Calm app. I’ve found that I am able to stay more present in the ones we did today and last week, which is really refreshing. :blush: Thanks again.

2 Likes

Today is the day! 1pm UK time.

join via this link

All welcome :blush:

1 Like

Sorry I’ve not posted follow up discussions but meeting today on zoom in 20 mins!

Will post stuff after :grin:

1 Like

Today’s meditation:

With this wonderful poem at the end:

Readings from the book were the Third and Fourth Noble Truth (p. 17 - 20)

The third noble truth - there is an end to suffering - is something that I have been reflecting on a lot again recently. How easy it is to fall into cycles of attachment and aversion. I find attachment trickier to let go of than aversion. Not that letting go of aversion is easy, but I suppose it’s easier to identify feelings of discomfort because they are unpleasant. The line between enjoying fun stuff and chasing that enjoyment is a fine one and I find it hard to spot when I am crossing it!

Applying the principles of letting go, not getting sucked into future scenarios (good or bad) and coming back to now… That’s where true peace and happiness are :pray: :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Zoom meeting in 25 mins!

join via this link

1 Like

Sorry to anyone who logged on before I got there! Online now and meeting happening :laughing:

We are online!

Today’s meditation will be this

And we will cover Wise Speech from the book (p. 33)

I might try to pop in next week. Tuesdays are speaker meetings for the DND sangha. I love speaker meetings AND I will still try to attend. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would be lovely to see you if you can make it! It’s a much smaller meeting than the DND one. Just had 3 including me last time! Still nice though :blush:

1 Like