Recovery is helping my eating disorder

I am not sure how to go about this but since going into alcohol recovery (4 months), my eating disorder has gone from pretty bad to seriously not funny bad. i am at my lowest weight and dont have the strength to quit this too. My life is so chacotic this is the one thing i can control. I can not afford therapy so this is not an option and im so shameful of my past and choices i do not dear tell the friend/family. i dont know what i am going to do

5 Likes

Hi :wave:t3: I would suggest journaling. Get your thoughts out. It will help. Know you are not alone. We often transfer our addictions. Dig deep and you will start to uncover a lot of feelings and reasons why you are addicted to certain behaviors. :yellow_heart:

I’ve went through similar struggles last year when getting sober. It sucks because I thought just being sober by itself would fix all my other outlying problems, which of course, it didn’t.

I found the best thing you can do is find a support group of people who have similar struggles. This is a great place to start. I didnt want to tell family due to the shame either. I’ve been conditioned to feel that eating issues were problems only women faced growing up and felt that I would just be laughed at if I brought it up. It takes time and patience. For me, the biggest help was raising my self-esteem since that was the root of my issues. I had to get out and do things for myself and for others whenever I could and not just tell myself I’m okay and fine in front of a mirror. Self-esteem comes from doing esteemable acts. Once I started liking myself more, I stopped putting so much focus on my weight.

I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Thank you i do journal everyday. In my own personal journal, in my addiction recovery Journal and I even journal for my daughter every day and i agree its a great coping mechanisi have been journalling for years and I adore it

1 Like

I would never tell my family, never. the only way my family would ever find out about my eating issue is if I died.

I am currently working on the self-esteem I applied for college and was approved today. I will be talking to student aid tomorrow about upgrading. I have goals that I will meet and I’m very excited and optimistic about my future. Unforunatly it’s not helping with my eating issues is just still causing it to get worse… again I cannot go to counselling I just don’t have the means or funds for that sort of thing.

1 Like

Yeah I get it. I hate that money has to be a barrier for counseling sometimes. Stick around and look for groups that talk about eating disorders. Find someone who found a way out and find out what they did. There are many ways to work at it and hopefully you’ll find a method that works for you.

1 Like

Same. Same. Omg. Same.

Also, give Recovery Dharma meetings a try. We have a large number of members who are finding healing through Buddhist principles to conquer/tame ED.

Hello Hi-Dee!
When i began staying sober my eating disorders where at its worst, just as you’re sharing. I don’t know what type of help you’re getting to stay sober, but I started going to a NA group and even though I was struggling with ED I remained sober all along and suddenly I noticed that i was eating better any making better decisions for myself.
I know that having an eating disorder is much more than just making better decisions, I relapsed about 3 months ago, and it was seriously bad. When I got the courage to tell my sponsor about what I was doing with food and what I was telling myself about my self image, we realized I needed specific help for this situation and that I needed to identify with people that have the same struggles. Now I’m attending a group of 12 steps for people who are in EDR.
I’m feeling so much better and looking healthier and I have hope I can recover from this.
I hope this helped, and if you need anything, I’m here :slight_smile:

Sobriety is not a fix for everything. And without the booze cycle to consume the mind, the brain looks to the nearest thing, in this case eating. Which I am sure you already know. There are online groups if you search. I know there are private threads for some issues, perhaps we could make one for eating disorders?