Recovery WITHOUT Faith

So I’m not necessarily an atheist, but I don’t really have a belief in the above or below. Now, I understand everyone may come at me and tell me a million reasons why I should have faith and pray to God BUT that is not why I’m posting this. I want to see (if there is anyone) how to find a release and a healthy outlook with recovery without having to be in a church group or pray to any sort of god. I feel like I’m the only one out there.

I have no religious affiliation either. I believe that there is a possibility of a higher power and I believe that if you treat people (including yourself) like shit your pretty well going to get that returned to you, I.e. Karma. Keeping a positive attitude and having a purpose that not only benefits me but others around me as well has been sufficient for me so far.

1 Like

If you don’t believe in a higher power, believe in yourself and your values and moral compass. There are many recovering addicts who don’t believe in God.

3 Likes

You are not alone. I am neither in a church group, nor do I pray to a God. I believe in energy and karma and mindfullness, among other things. Mostly I believe in myself and this moment. My philosophy…

Be here, now.

Let go, or be dragged.

3 Likes

Meditation can be spiritual or not. I like to picture a placid pond in the woods, in the morning. Really see it in my mind. Focus on the little mist rising in the cool morning air. Picture the bald eagle swooping down and snatching a fish out of the water, and flying away. Now I focus on the ripples the eagle caused, watch them slowly widen and disappear, until the water is once again smooth as glass.

Visualization before a stressful event helps, like a social setting with alcohol. I visualize the entire evening, where I have a great time, and don’t drink.

Positive affirmations encouraging myself or reflection on good things that happen.

Yes, I am a believer in God. I pray daily. But faith and prayer aren’t the only tools on my belt. Meditation, Visualization, Affirmation, and Reflection are skills that help keep me on-track. Accountability here on the forum helps too.

3 Likes