Relapse after postpartum

I gave birth 3 months ago after getting sober in January when I found out I was pregnant. It was SO easy to stay sober when I was pregnant but of course it wasn’t too long after he was born that I relapsed. I had a very difficult pregnancy, labor and delivery so I feel like on top of my mental health, I lost my way again. My son deserves better and I’m doing everything I can to stay sober for my beautiful boy. I just wanted to vent. thank you for listening.

14 Likes

Welcome @Jeb23 to the talking sober forum. Congrats on the new bundle of joy. You are not alone. This forum has people from around the world kicking addictions ass

4 Likes

Thank you for welcoming and my son. :blue_heart: One minute at a time.

4 Likes

I also struggled to stay sober when not pregnant or actively bf-ing. A combination of hormones, thinking about how it would affect the baby, not sure. But an infant needs a sober mum. I’m sorry the pregnancy and birth to as hard for you. I hope you can get back on track. What are you doing to stay sober?

5 Likes

Currently, will power, prayer, you all and looking at my boy.

3 Likes

Community is good. Have you read any quit lit? Learning about what alcohol does and how it gets it’s claws into you really helps. And it can give you practical tips what to do when a craving hits.

4 Likes

Welcome, mama! I’m glad you found us and are sharing here. This community was the single most important support for me in getting sober. Hope you engage and check in with us! :heartpulse:

3 Likes

Thank you so much. I’m now a SAHM so that’s a big change too. I’m bipolar, and other things so I think it’s a mix of my mental health, hormones, being home all the time and so on but I knew I needed to seek help. I really appreciate that I can hop on here and talk to people who are also in recovery and are encouraging. Thank you so much. I’m struggling to refund myself.

4 Likes

I used to do AA but it didn’t work too well for me so I have a bit of knowledge but nothing too significant. I need to really read on it more. Once Bean goes to sleep I probably will.

2 Likes

Congrats on your little boy :slight_smile: you went through a traumatic time. Don’t beat yourself up over it. And stayed sober during the pregnancy, it shows you are stronger than you think :slight_smile: you got this :slight_smile: and your son, family, friends and everyone here will help you stay strong :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. :blue_heart: I really appreciate them.

3 Likes

There are lots of communities out there. Explore and decide what fits.
The Luckiest Club
Tempest
SMART Recovery
Women for Sobriety
Refuge Recovery (Buddhist)

Check them all out!

5 Likes

I’m already apart of woman For Sobriety but I’d never heard of the others. Thank you!

3 Likes

@Jeb23. Congrats on the birth of your baby. And it was already mentioned that you were able to stay sober while pregnant. For your baby. The only difference is now baby is on the outside. I was sober until my two sons were 6 and 9. Still too young for a drinking mom. But looking back, i think there are so many ways you can make mistakes when drinking with a tiny baby. Just passing out and sleeping too soundly. Or being a little (or a lot) clumsy. The list is endless. Do it for baby AND yourself. I did WFS years ago. There was a Moms group. Welcome and i wish you well.

3 Likes

just love him. hold him as much as you can. don’t let him see you using.

hold him to your heart every day

you’ve got this!

1 Like