Relapse does not have to be a part of recovery

Relapse does not have to be part of recovery because the reality is that you will probably die or live threw it and lose everything you’ve got back in recovery

8 Likes

I do agree with this but here’s my take. I feel the word ‘relapse’ is thrown out there much more often than it should be. What I consider to be ‘relapse’ is when you really have been working a program and putting in the work and then consciously make the decision to use knowing the consequences. Sometimes I see ‘relapse’ stated when it really just appears to have been abstinence taking place. There was nothing being done to solve the issue so inevitably it wouldn’t last. Hopes and dreams don’t produce results in recovery and this needs to be understood in order to succeed.

I hope this makes as much sense to others as it does to me :upside_down_face: Welcome to the community Scott! Keep coming back!

11 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. I have said I’m done drinking many times to go 2 weeks or a month or 2 and drink again. Don’t consider them relapses I wasn’t serious about quitting. I wasn’t putting in the work and doing whatever it took to stay sober.

11 Likes

Relapse is a part of addiction, not recovery in my opinion.

9 Likes

For me there is so much at stake if i relapse it simply just isnt an option…when shit gets tough i must find another way because my rock bottom 18 months ago was so traumatic im not sure id have another recovery in me, to me nothing in this world is worth drinking over

5 Likes

True that’s where I’m at it’s not a option IV gained so much back it would kill me

3 Likes

Exactly…there is always another way to deal with things other than to drink or use

3 Likes

I agree relapse doesn’t have to be a part of recovery. Building and utilising strong skills, tools and support are key to staying relapse free.

I would also add that relapse may not mean a loss of everything you’ve worked for in sobriety, but an opportunity to learn from our mistakes and to draw on the sober time you have stacked up to move forward. Plenty of us have had multiple relapses, but have learned to strengthen our skills to get back up and continue fighting.

It’s not an easy fight, but nothing worth fighting for comes easily. You’ve got this!

5 Likes

Aint that the truth!!! :ok_hand:

1 Like