Relapse - DUI last Thursday and just got out

First 5 minutes sober.

Last week DUI, lock up in county for a week before met the judge.

Life is a mess, feeling like shit. Massive headache.

I need help.

I want to be clean once and for all, but I know is impossible. But I just want to take my first step and get my life back on track before the alcohol ruin every good things in my life.

8 Likes

it is most certainly not impossible. this forum (welcome by the way! :slight_smile:) has a huge number of people who have got and stayed sober who also thought doing so was impossible at some point, and yet, here we are doing it. pretty inspiring to me! i hope you read a lot on here and check in frequently, theres lots of great suggestions and support here so i encourage you to give the sober/recovering life all youve got and im sure youll feel differently before long. glad youre here :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hey Cal and welcome !

Here you can find a lot of support and great stories.

I used to drink and drive often, getting arrested and stuff but I just kept on drinking man. Had no intention to quit till I’ve done some nasty shit. I installed this app as a day counter and eventually found the forum. I read a lot in early days, kept checking in ( there’s a daily check in thread , you can search for it ) . At first I tried to white knuckle it , got drunk and took an 8 month long ride on the rollercoaster from hell. Eventually I tried a lot of avenues people suggest here , counseling , psychiatrie , excercise, books , work, rehab, on my own, but I ended up drunk every time. Someone suggested to try AA , helped me find a meeting. I am an alcoholic.

I’m in AA now , working the Program , going to meetings and I’m sober. Feeling pretty good.

I’m really grateful to people on TS.

If you wanna talk , you can private message me or just post. Those early days have been tough but man it did get easier .

5 Likes

Thanks @les. I mean impossible is because there always going to be occasion where I will relapse. Anyhow, I just want to take one day, even one hour at a time and stick to it the best possible way.

1 Like

@Milo. Great, my head is still hurting like shit. I want to wake up later and refresh and turn my life around.

Life behind bar is not a joke. Especially under this pity DUI.

1 Like

yep, take it a minute at a time if you need. stay sober today and worry about staying sober tomorrow tomorrowđź‘Ť

2 Likes

@les that’s all I can promise myself at the moment.

2 Likes

well i think its a fantastic promise to make to yourself

2 Likes

@les a step at a time. I relapse many times , thought I beat it finally, but fall straight down harder than ever.

This is not a easy one day, one month, 2 month program. I don’t know what I am going to do but live the moment sober.

1 Like

Only if you let it happen.
Stick around here, relax and learn.
Anything is possible if we set our minds to it.
Two years ago I drank from when I got up to when I went to bed, pretty much every day.
Now I’m living life on my terms and not even missing booze or its lifestyle.
Mindset is the most important thing.

5 Likes

I drink from waking up to sleep. Not too much difference from you @anon12657779.

It’s damage my brain badly… Of course, just awaiting to be behind bar as it eventually would happen.

I feel so depressing now. I am sorry.

@Fargesia_murielae thank you. You understand me.

Why life is so hard and difficult… I am in a dark place today , tomorrow will be better.

1 Like

Kudo to life @Fargesia_murielae. Thanks for your time to.reply me.

1 Like

Don’t be sorry. It’s a disease and like all diseases, there is recovery.
You sound a lot like you don’t think you are worthy. You fear failure. Like so many of us at the start you see no way out.
But, if you spend some time reading around on here, searching up questions you will soon realise that you are not the only one to ever feel this way.
Small baby steps, yes. Start by being sober for today.
Have an open mind to try anything and to also realise that you don’t have to do this alone.
This forum is definitely the thing that turned my life around.
Through this forum I realised what I needed to do.
The changes in my mindset that where needed.
So, don’t think about the future, just concentrate on living in today.

4 Likes

It doesn’t have to be this way. It’s not inevitable. It may seem too difficult, or even impossible, but sobriety is achievable. There’s folks on here with decades of sobriety.

Welcome. I am glad you are here. I hope you will stay, learn, share and grow.

4 Likes

This idea has come up a lot for me over the last couple months. Not just with drinking but with a lot of things in life. I’d been so afraid to give something my all and fail, that I would just give myself an “out”. That way, it was my choice to give up or walk away, and not a failure based on my own inadequacy. But in reality, it was a guaranteed loss and a self fulfilling prophecy.

@Cal111 Welcome. You’re right to just take it moment by moment or day by day. Stay on here. Read. Garner support and advice. You don’t have to continue a pattern of relapsing if you don’t want to. There are people here who were in the same boat as you and they’ve managed to have some success in sobriety over long periods of time. Try to learn from them what worked and see if applying it to your life can help.

Glad you’re here.

4 Likes

Ant Middleton’s The Fear Bubble is a great book that covers 4 areas of fear that we all fall foul of
Fear of Failure
Fear of Confrontation
Fear of suffering.
And our secret fear of self.

5 Likes

Nothing is impossible. Make the pain work for you not against you moment by moment. Leave the rest to God.

1 Like