Relapse & New Trauma :(

So I was sober for a time period of maybe 3 weeks after my first DUI. Then I decided a 4K mile road trip to clear my head would be a great idea - which it was for the first half (2 pics added from my hiking adventure in Arizona). Then when I got to the last half of my trip and to visit family in the PNW, I was extremely lonely so I went to my favorite restaurant up there and watched my best NCAA football team play on TV. I made a friend at the restaurant bar while I was eating and with no alcohol. Then he offered me a favorite drink of mine and me being the social person I am, I ignored my sobriety and accepted . . . And then I accepted 3 more. When it was time for me to leave I let him walk me to my car and without triggering details, things went south without consent. Got back to my hotel and the next morning I left town and headed to my dads town for Halloween with my little brother. That night before put me in such a bad mental space that continued to drink. That night after trick or treating, I was not drunk and was following my GPS back to my new hotel. Made a Uturn and got pulled over. Passed all tests until I was given a breath test . . . BAM! DUI #2 — how does anyone recover from this shit?! I feel like spinning out of control and since I have ZERO people to talk to I came here :woman_facepalming:t2::persevere::sleepy:

10 Likes

Hi Melodee I am sorry to hear of your trauma and the fallout from it. I am happy you have found a place to reach out and seek some solace. What that animal did to you was NOT your fault. It doesnt matter whether you were drunk or sober…no one deserves to be abused.

First of all I want to ask if you are ok? I know you are not mentally but I also mean physically. I hope you have seen a doctor following this assault. It would also help to seek the services of a therapist to help you sort through this painful experience and also deal with why you choose to abuse alcohol as a way of dealing with whatever horrible things have happened up to this point in your life. You mentioned that you were sober 3 weeks after you had recieved a DUI. This must have been a hard time for you. The stress of the DUI and then trying to remain sober. You drank again because you were still so new to sobriety and had no tools or strategies in place to be able to say no when offered a drink. If you want to remain sober you need to build up a group of strategies to keep you from falling again.

I visited my GP and told him I wanted help to stay sober. He prescribed medication to get me through withdrawal at home and then some medications to help with my cravings. I have detoxed in a facility my first time but chose to do this time at home. He spoke on the phone to me everyday that first week to ensure I was going ok. I also kept my self well hydrated and started a multivitamin and healthier diet.

You would benefit from some help from a therapist to work through why you feel the need to drink. Something has happened to you previously to the DUI that you try to cover over with drinking alcohol. I have a Drug and Alcohol therapist that I see weekly and she has helped so much.

Next suggestion would be to attend some AA meetings where you can find support on this sobriety path. I am not religious so found a secular AA group and I attend online meetings so I can have a meeting anytime of the day or night.

You will have ALOT of free time and extra money when you become sober so a new hobby or activity is a great way to help refocus your mind and body. I joined a yoga group and it was the best thing I have ever done for my anxiety and racing thoughts.

When it comes to facing the consequences of the DUIs it will always reflect well on you if you have recognised you have a problem and have taken steps to help address them. The court will take these into consideration when it comes to a decision surrounding legal action.

Please know you are not alone Melodee. Keep coming back to the TS forum. It is a wonderfully supportive community and full of people with a story and advise to share. Stay strong and take it one day at a time.

Ree :heart:

12 Likes

Have you stopped drinking? Is today Day 1? That is your initial starting point.

4 Likes

I’m sorry for this terrible series of events. Alcohol is a powerful seductress. From the sounds of it you absolutely know what has to be done. But how are you going to do it?
The universe has a way of giving you opportunities to change, some absolutely suck. But I can with 100% certainty say, that if you eliminate alcohol you won’t experience these terrible things. Use this as a catalyst for change, an opportunity rather than an excuse to give up. Many folks just say F it and succumb to giving up, trust me alcohol wants you to. But we don’t, and I hope for damn sure you don’t

5 Likes

I hate hearing stories like this. Especially assualts like that. I don’t know what to say, I’m sorry that happened, it should never happen, the guy needs to reexamine his life choices while behind bars.

You’ve learned a hard lesson, despite your best intentions, alcohol makes things profoundly worse. And now you are at a crossroads and you need to make a choice. Continue down that same road and see far down you will go, or make the commitment to yourself to get better, no matter.the cost. I know the feeling of despair, like life is over and that hopelessness begins to set it in the pit of your stomach, but its not over, you can recover from this, but it takes work, hard work. Choose recovery today and get to work, do that, and it’ll be ok.

9 Likes

It’s actually D2, I’m just having a very hard time this time. I’m not really sure why

3 Likes

I’m so sorry that happened to you. I would be pressing charges against the guy from the bar. It is a hard thing to overcome (I know from experience) but you can. I would definitely look into some counseling.

On the dui- I wonder how you failed a breath test if you hadn’t been drinking. Not sure if there is a way for you to fight that.

Put one foot in front of the other and you will make it through. Focus on your sobriety and you :heart:

6 Likes

I am so sorry that happened to you, that’s a nightmare situation for sure. Please know you’re absolutely not alone though. I was sexually assaulted a number of times while drunk. From my experience, committing to sobriety was how I worked through the trauma of it. And it’s a slow process, but the way I see it - I couldn’t keep adding to my trauma pile by continuing to drink. Everytime I drank there would be something new to add. So I had to stop, and deal with the pile. It will get better I promise!

3 Likes

Well that’s a great positive getting through to day 2 so give yourself a pat on the back and above all else give yourself some love. We as addicts, are always so hard on our selves and don’t stop to see any of the positive things that are around us at times. Stay positive and keep reaching out as sharing is by far one of the best things to do in times of need and try not to be alone for too long. :blue_heart::+1::ok_hand:

1 Like

What a wonderful response. Thank you for sharing so much helpful information.

1 Like

How are you doing today?

I am so happy to hear you found my advise helpful @LAB ! I am thinking of making a thread dedicated to helping those struggling in the first days of sobriety with suggestions I found helped me and people can add to it what they found helped them the most. It may have been done before so I will go on a hunt before deciding to start a new thread. Edit: I have found an amazing thread with so much resourses for this exact topic!!!

3 Likes