Relapse Prevention

What does everyone do for relapse prevention? How does everyone pick up on the early signs of relapse prior to the actual physical relapse? I have struggles with the coping skills for relapse prevention. I currently have 11 days sober since I overdosed.

10 Likes

I do something sobriety related everyday. We’re either getting closer to relapse or farther away, cannot sit stagnant. I like listening to sobriety podcasts, some do AA. Do whatever works for you.

5 Likes

I started going to na which I like, tried aa last night but def not for me, I do have a really good support team also.

1 Like

We all find what works for us and sometimes things that worked in the beginning don’t work later on. Our recovery constantly changes go with the flow😉

2 Likes

@littlemisschatterbox thanks for those, I might print them and keep in my bathroom for reminders, maybe even a set in my tool box at work.

1 Like

Relapse prevention I think can be so isolating that the cure can make the disease seem appealing.

I have spent years avoiding triggers and now think this was a mistake. For me, sexual feelings are a trigger and avoiding them may have cut back on relapses, but it also isolated me.

I tried to build up a support network, but if we cannot speak about relapse to other addicts, that means we have to speak to non-addicts who find the discussion disturbing. If I try talking to a sponsor and anyone in the program, they have to hang up. If I talk to someone who is a non-addict, I have to deal with their anxiety.

But I guess ultimately we have to make our own recovery–and stand on our own two feet.

So we just have to hang on.

I think looking back, relapses or near relapses are a perfect storm of various things, triggers, lack of self-care, opportunity. So make sure that all the things cannot occur together. If you know there is a opportunity on the horizon (maybe a party, maybe a day off work) up the self-care, if you notice the self- care drifting, keep the hell away from triggers. Certainly the more I work on having a fulfilling life, the less I want to drink. Fulfilling doesn’t have to mean busy-busy, indeed for me fulfilling means taking time to do leisure.

1 Like

Great question Mike. Welcome to the community @Gpmike17
Because the disease of alcoholism and addiction centers in my mind, I have to get out of myself. I have to get uncomfortable to be comfortable. I attend Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous on a regular basis. I have a sponsor that I’m in contact with daily. I have two gentlemen that I sponsor. I am active in my home group. I secretary multiple meetings along with chairing meetings throughout the week. The work I do keeps me plugged in 24/7. I value the meeting after the meetings, the fellowship if you will. I have surrounded myself with friends that have multiple years of sobriety, that teach me what they have been taught. In Bill’s story in the Alcoholics Anonymous Big book Pg. 15 he states that “but I soon found that when all other measures failed, work with another alcoholic would save the day.” I am here to tell you that being of service does work for an alcoholic and addict like me. These are some of the measures that I’ve had to take in my life to help safeguard my sobriety. The bottom line is I just don’t want to use or drink anymore and I’m willing to do whatever it takes.
Again welcome to the community Mike. Keep reaching out and staying connected. There’s a lot of good people here that are willing to help guide you along your journey in sobriety. Congratulations on your 11 days, that’s a big deal. Just remember to take it easy, and focus on one day at a time, one hour at a time, sometimes even one breath at a time is what it takes. :heart:

3 Likes

It’s in those moments that acceptance is very important, to accept that this substance will not make everything better, you need to learn to handle your emotions that trigger you. Staying in the present is a good way to be in acceptance, accept that it will be hard at times, accept that there is much more to life than negativity, ultimately for me its the difference of wanting to live vs die

3 Likes

Top 14 red flags of an impending relapse.

1. Exhaustion: Becoming overly tired – heads up, workaholics.

2. Dishonesty: Little lies and deceits – making excuses.

3. Impatience: Things do not happen fast enough – others not doing what they should. Road rage and driving dangerously are signs also.

4. Argumentativeness: Arguing ridiculous points of view – looking for an excuse to drink, use drugs, gamble, or other “acting-out” addictions.

5. Depression: Unreasonable despair – Problems not being talked out.

6. Frustration: At people and things that may not be going your way.

7. Self-pity: Why do these things only happen to me? Why am I like I am? (Hint: Even if you do know why you are as you are – it does not change anything. You have to make changes.)

8. Over-Confidence: Thinking you have got-it-made – you no longer fear your addiction – and you take risks getting involved with people, places, and things that you know are high risk.

9. Complacency: Thinking everything is ok, and “forgetting” about past negative consequences. Cruising on yesterday’s recovery.

10. Expecting too much from others: “I have changed, why hasn’t everyone else started to trust me, reward me, etc…”

11. Abuse of Over The Counter Medicines: Rather than your “drug of choice” or mood altering substances.

12. Personal expectations set too high: Setting goals that are unattainable, or that take time and effort to obtain and not willing to be patient and put in the hard work. “Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have.”

13. Selective Memory: Forgetting what you were like when you were using, abusing or deep into your addiction. Learn to be grateful each day, even if the world seems a little less colourful to you – it will get better.

14. Not rewarding yourself in healthy ways: Still thinking that substance use is a reward, or something that you deserve.
    Most people, who have gotten to the point where their substance use could be considered abuse, or that they were or are addicted or dependent, cannot really go back to controlled use. Like it or not, for many it is a fact of life.

When you see your addict sneaking in apply a spiritual principle to whatever maybe happening instead. Acceptance, honesty, open mindedness, vulnerability, self love, self compassion etc,etc.

:heart::pray::heart:

11 Likes

Zombie thread, but to add to 11, not just otc medicine, but doing other addictive behaviour that is not usually ur doc, such as shopping, scrolling are signs of trouble

3 Likes

Yes I notice that too. Behaviours that distract me, dazzle me - things that are about avoidance (usually, avoiding some unmet need I have, often a need I’m not really thinking of, one I might not be totally aware of, and I should take some time & seek some support to unpack it & identify it - but instead of taking that time for healthy self-care, I distract myself & bury myself).

2 Likes

I am doing all of this right now.

2 Likes