Relapse so fed up

So fed up, after 8 weeks, i drank for 2 days, i dont know what to do? I think i get complacent, but it always ends the same? Advise welcome!

4 Likes

What have you tried so far? Keep trying new books, new podcasts, being active on here, a formal program like AA, SMART, Dharma recovery. But do something every day to keep focus.

5 Likes

Ive tried most things, but i use it as an escape, i really to need stop convincing myself i can control it, thanks for your reply, i will do something everyday to remember lifes better with out it x

3 Likes

That’s tough, but it does happen so don’t beat yourself up too much, just get back up, dust yourself off and begin anew.

I’m definitely not successful enough yet to dole out any great advice, but I have found early to bed early to rise helps me immensely. I usually hit the bed around 7:30-8pm, read for an hour with intent of being up around 5:30-6am… it’s working for me, but perhaps not for everyone (kids come to mind, but mines 20 now attending university)

I wish you all the most success and remember “not to try, is to fail”

Best

2 Likes

Loving the early to bed and early rise, something i can see myself doing, i do cold swimming with a group, but not regularly enough, and theirs a ladies walking group just started, so plenty of beneficial activities, just need to do it!

1 Like

Lots of threads on trying to ‘control’ drinking and how that works out (it doesn’t, that is why we are here! :slightly_smiling_face:). It is a process, I know, and it can take time to fully get to the point where you sustain sobriety. 8 weeks is fantastic and your slip doesn’t take that experience away. You hopefully learn from that and keep moving forward. You only fail if you stop trying. :people_hugging: Have you read This Naked Mind by Annie Grace or Quit Like A Woman by Holly Whitaker or We Are The Luckiest by Laura McKowen? I found them all helpful for my journey in their own way…maybe you would as well. Don’t give up. Keep moving forward toward a healthy healing you. :heart::people_hugging::heart:

1 Like

Thankyou, i will definitely try the books, im a binge drinker, so need to watch out for triggers, not sure how, think a journal? X

1 Like

Journaling is great. I was a binge drinker too. Avoiding that first drink was key for me. As was distraction. Putting myself to bed early. Not socializing for awhile. Taking walks or hitting the gym. Did a TON of reading quit lit, that helped.

1 Like

We forget pain, we forget agony. We forget the struggle.

I like to go on long backing trips and I document them on video. During the hike, you can hear me say things like, “this sucks, its too hot, I’m hurting, why am I doing this?”. But sometime after, I will look at you in the eye and say, “it wasn’t that bad!”. The pain, the agony, the struggle was forgot. I found drinking to be the same. We soon forget, so we go back, because after some time, “it wasn’t that bad”.

Sharing our story with others keeps it fresh in our minds. We remind ourselves how bad it really was, we are reminded of the pain. Most importantly, it reminds us of why we are on this journey. You can share your story in AA meetings or here. I feel that it is an important part of the journey. Keep sharing your story!

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, they are really helpful, theirs a group i go cold water swimming which is great, need to go more, definitely exercise and healthy eating will be my focus, reading quit lit to, your right about not having the first one, the cravings after are hell x

1 Like

I do forget the pain, and hell it causes, i live on the Llyn peninsula, its awesome for walks, my son has said he will go early morning tomorrow, will remember what you said when im moaning! X

3 Likes