Relapse vs slip

Close enough

1 Like

There is definitly a difference between a relapse and a slipā€¦but both require a reset in your counter.

Ultimately you want to count your sober days. Even a slip isnā€™t being sober. But yes, it sure is a hell of a lot better than a full blown relapse where you are right back where you started.

And I like how Derek states itā€¦if you donā€™t reset your counter after a slip you are essentially saying that drink was okay, so another drink is okay, and then another and anotherā€¦and well then you havenā€™t quit at all, have you.

(BTW - Iā€™m realising that I donā€™t know what your DOC isā€¦itā€™s just easier for me to use drinking wordsā€¦)

1 Like

This is a super good question.
I always wondered the same because Iā€™ll get a month then have one drink. Then another month and maybe I have 2 drinks.
Though I didnā€™t fall right back in and go full binge modeā€¦ and though it seems more like a slip ā€¦ I always feel like CRAP like I ruined everything because I know thatā€™s just not what I want to be doing in my heart of hearts.
So every " slip" feels like a small relapse.
I also have no illusions that since I survived one drink that means I can drink ā€œnormallyā€ā€¦ I have no actual want to be a so called normal drinker.
Those failures, however small make me very upset.

6 Likes

I do when I slipā€¦ But my slip was a 3day use a thonā€¦ But I kinda get both sides of itā€¦ for me I feel like slipping every hundred days is better than using everydayā€¦but I also know that Iā€™m lucky I didnā€™t go down the rabbit hole when I did relapse lastā€¦ So really itā€™s a doubled edge sword for me. This might not be helping or answering a question and Iā€™m definitely not condoning using and Iā€™ll always strive for my sobriety, I wanna stay sober, but I would much rather use the term slip if it were just once in a 100 days vs using everyday. Hope all is well

1 Like

This is so true. A slip is just a way that our addicted minds use to deceive us. Once we are justifying and accepting small ā€œslipsā€ its a matter of time to relapse again.

1 Like

Im 100% with you on this. I have a similar problem. I did countless times a ā€œslipā€ where i could do a few lines and call it a day without binging like crazy. Everytime these small ā€œslipsā€ happened, i noticed 3 things that happened to me:
1- Iā€™d feel bad anyway. Id feel like im a liar not only lying to the loved ones but lying to myself which is worse.
2- however id be delusional too thinking that i could get high normaly and keep it under control. Which always led to:
3- full blown relapse using it for several days and feeling like sending it all to hell.

To me no matter what, even of i could ever have control again over my DOC, id still feel terrible and lying to myself. Once i crossed the addiction line years ago, theres no turning back. Im addict and theres no other way to spin this. Lying to myself always makes me feel terrible. I think addiction is a black and white situation as far as using. Theres no gray areas.

1 Like

One reason why Iā€™ve personally avoided AA is that I am already hard enough on myself and dont need opinions from others. I also dont put much weight on a sobriety date. I just decide not to drink. For myself. Thatā€™s it. Whatever you call it, it is what it is. A little beating yourself up may be good, but dont hold onto it. Let it go. Begin again with stronger conviction and resolve in whatever decision you have made. Life is temporary. Make the absolute best of it. I hope you find your ultimate happiness recipe, because it is different for everyone.

First: you are not useless. Ever. Your story matters, and you being here matters also. You are never useless.

A relapse and a slip. Personally I tend to agree with the others here that itā€™s a slippery slope - ha! :joy: - when we start trying to think of reasons why some things are special exceptions. Generally, if weā€™re here in this community, if at some point we have said, ā€œI have something that pulls me in and it is dominating me and my life in unhealthy ways, and I need to be the one making the decisions againā€, it means we have an addiction of some type. And that means our relationship with that particular activity or substance needs attention. For people with substance addictions, sobriety is a pretty clear path, not really one with a lot of gray areas. Let me put it this way: you know, in your heart, if thereā€™s a problem. You know if a substance has been a problem in your life. And like a guest that overstays their welcome, sometimes you have to set boundaries in order to become master of your house again.

I suppose the first question is whether youā€™re mainly bothered by the counter, and feeling discouraged about the reset. If thatā€™s the case, itā€™s ok to feel that way. I went through the same thing. It was a long time. And actually - discouragement is a sign you have goals. It means you want something for yourself, and youā€™re working towards it, and thatā€™s good.

If the slips/relapse question is about the substance itself, you might ask, what is it that you want, and why? What is it about the substance that makes you want to have it in your life, or make special places and times where itā€™s ok for it to be there? Do you think it helps you in some way? How?

Hoping this helps. You are a wonderful person, and you matter. Hoping you find learning and growth on your journey. :hugs:

1 Like