Relapsed after a week

I’m embarrassed and ashamed of myself. I made it 7 days and then made the choice to drink again. I’m so mad at myself for making the choice I did and giving in to my weakness. I feel like absolute garbage right now.

7 Likes

Well done for lasting a week it’s a huge achievement! Time to start again. Don’t beat yourself about it! I’m restarting today myself.

1 Like

Most of us have not had success the first time or second, etc. This is my 4th time starting over first was 9 months because I got pregnant. Then i started it back up. Got sober for 3 months. Failed again and then got back on my feet. This is my 4th time and I am feeling really good about this one. Keep your head up. We can do this!

2 Likes

“Sobriety is a journey, not a destination.” This app had that quote to offer a week or so ago and I feel it really hits home.

Don’t beat yourself up! You had the courage to share and the mindset to know that being sober is what you want. These are great things! Relapse, although a setback, is part of recovery for most people. There’s so many tools to use to combat urges and triggers. As long as you learn what happened that caused you to relapse and what you’ll do about the next time, you’ve grown stronger. Keep your head up! You’re on the right path.

2 Likes

Bro. Just get up and keep going. I had 456 days when I relapsed. No relapse doesn’t have to be a part of recovery, but it just happens to be a part of mine. Yeah I was pissed at myself, one thing sobriety taught me is just get up and keep moving. It is what it is, no point in kicking yourself everyday, life goes on. Also a shit ton of pressure on yourself worrying about how many stupid fucking days you can stay sober, just wake up do sober shit and have a good day

5 Likes

Welcome Nigel. There are lots of resources here and ppl who you can connect with. I agree with part of what @anon53116147 said and that is “wake up do sober shit and have a good day”. I do find value in having a sobriety date and hitting milestones, i couldn’t imagine not celebrating the big ones.

Remember that we only live for today. You don’t have to be sober forever, just be sober for today. Best wishes

3 Likes

Heck yeah man and i enjoyed that date and milestones at first too. But then I realized I would put myself in such a funk worrying about a milestone coming up, or how many more days till a year or w.e. I literally made myself miserable worrying about it, now I’m just gonna wake up and celebrate everyday sober, doesn’t matter if it’s a milestone or not, everyday is worth celebrating specially since now I don’t know what my clean date or how many days I have, it’s just a different approach this time for me, I’ve already experienced everything I needed to in my year. I didn’t hit a rock bottom, or ruin anything so I really doubt I’ll experience much of that same shit again. Geuss will see lol

6 Likes

Self hate won’t help u. For me, around 5 days to a week I start to feel better, and the lies-I can have just one, it won’t be so bad this time-start sounding believable. Don’t fall for ur own bullshit!

2 Likes

Welcome Nigel.
Today is a great day to be sober.
Here’s a pretty cool post someone put out awhile ago if your interested.
Advice for new comers and constant relapsers

Hope to see you around.
This has been a great place for me to get support.
:pray:t2::heart:

I know it doesn’t feel good. Give yourself time to analyze what happened and what triggered you to pick up again. It starts from within, be accountable and determined, I believe in you :heartpulse:

2 Likes

I get most of that… those days shouldn’t matter if we’re living in the moment. When we let 2 weeks from now fuck with us we’re failing to accomplish the task at hand which is living in the moment. No offense BUT If we’re truly committed to sobriety knowing how long we’ve been sober is a good thing, it creates accountability when others know how long you’ve been sober, it takes away the ability to lie. Addicts are liars in active addiction, everyone last one of us the more checks and balances the better. Sorry for hijacking your topic @Nigel

1 Like

I’m not any less committed then the first time. Or less knowledgeable. Yeah I definitely fibbed about shit, but I don’t plan on doing that. And personally I liked counting my days so I could act like I was better then someone with less days, or that I had more knowledge then them because of that. And I’m not gonna play with that stigma of oh your only sober if you count how many days you’ve been sober or have a clean date any more. Someone can stay and remain sober without counting. To each there own, I’m just trying a different approach this time and if I fail I’ll be sure to be honest and open about it

Why would you want to act like your better than someone with less days? Text or pm me if you want to discuss further.

This should be made into a poster lol. Love it.

1 Like

Here’s the good news: you never have to feel embarrassed or ashamed again, at least in relation to addiction.

It’s the rare person who can quit on the first try. Not saying they aren’t out there, just that I’ve never met one. Decide to be better, then work to be better. If you do this, you will get better at getting better.

2 Likes