Relapsed & in need of a pep talk

Well, after 11 months of sobriety, I started to drink again (for about a week). There’s been a lot of anxiety in my life lately and I just couldn’t cope in a healthier way. :pensive: I’m not making any excuses and it is what it is. :woman_shrugging:t4: At this point, it’s a matter of me not liking how I feel and stopping it now.

I also honestly feel physically sick. Almost like my stomach hurts and I’m tired. I’m ready to restart the clock and get back to business. :triumph::muscle:t4: Any pep talks would be appreciated.

22 Likes

So sorry to hear of relapse. You are back now. Let’s get back on track. Keep coming here personally it is my ROCK! I can sit on it, lean on it, kick it and hug it. It is always here.

5 Likes

back on the horse maybe try ameeting might help ,helped me stay sober wish you well

4 Likes

What were you doing in those 11 monrhs to enhance your sobriety? What can you differently, so when life’s anxiety comes you are prepared?

5 Likes

Stop today. Go to sleep sober tonight and start to right the ship. Stress may not be an excuse but it might be able to point you toward something you are missing in sobriety (sober community, meditation, therapy). Most importantly, keep trying.

7 Likes

I had a relapse around 9 months and there were a lot of external factors but it boiled down to I decided to cope with it in an unhealthy way. When I restarted I worked through some recovery books and went to meetings. I added what I learned to my toolbox and will hit 3 years in a few months. I don’t drink but I do run away to nature sometimes. No external thing is worth drinking over. Drinking doesn’t make problems go away. They will be waiting for you when the drink is gone.

What do you think you can do differently this time around?

6 Likes

Thank you! :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I honestly think it’s because I was busier and working out a ton. It kept my mind distracted. Lately, I haven’t been as busy and when the anxiety storms in, I have just been sitting with my thoughts.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words. :pleading_face:

1 Like

I think I just need a different hobby to keep my mind distracted. I’ve been sitting alone with my thoughts once the anxiety hits. I also need to get back into the gym consistently.

I’m truly exhausted. I’m looking for a better paying job, my old dog is sick and keeps me up at all hours of the night, my house is a lot of work as a single woman, my elderly dad is depressed because he’s wheelchair bound… it’s too much sometimes.

I need something that makes me happy. Something I can do for myself because I feel like everything around me is sucking the energy out of me.

4 Likes

Thanks for listening! :two_hearts::pleading_face:

1 Like

Any thoughts on what you can add to your sobriety journey to help deal with anxiety?

1 Like

Relapses suck but they don’t have to make us spiral back to where we were. You are reaching out and clearly feel like shit about it. Let that part of your life go, you will be the stronger for it. Drinking offers nothing but pain and poor choice and lots worse stuff. Maybe check in and read around here a lot more. That helped me. Others find a lot of support in a program/meetings if that appeals to you.

This is a new beginning. Grab it and hold on!! You can do this!

4 Likes

That sounds tough. They do say that the key to sobriety is creating a life you don’t want to escape from. Of course, when you have responsibilities you can’t make those disappear, but maybe look at ways you can reduce your load. And for sure find healthier ways to release stress. Exercise is a great one. In the past, what other hobbies or activities brought you joy?

3 Likes

You’ll see me say this or a variation of it a lot. Its also in my bio: if youre still here, if youre still trying, if youre returning here for help… youre not struggling with addiction. Addiction is struggling with you. And sometimes it may win. Its a battle vs a war. Dust yourself off again. When youre working through things like depression and anxiety, things can get really hard and you may find yourself getting weak. Sobriety for people like us isnt our nature. Its not even second nature. Its a skill we have to develop. And like with any skill… you have to practice. Practice makes permanent. You got this.

6 Likes

I think you’ve learned a valuable lesson. No matter how bad things get or how stressed you get…alcohol doesn’t help. It never does.

2 Likes

Ok i was 112 day’s sober and relaped
I was raging with myself
Now today i start again
My stomach is so sore and hard
But its my own fault
You hang in there my friend
Stay positive
We can do this :pray:

5 Likes

I loved reading your reply, thank you! :sob::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Any time :heart:

I am sorry that you relapsed and are dealing with such anxiety.

Feel good about jumping back on the sober track. We got your back friend. You are not alone. Flex those sober muscles. Hold onto the sick feeling you get from this nasty poison. Remind yourself of this when you feel the urge to drink.

11 months is a amazing amount of time Sonia. You have the tools that got you so many ODAAT’s… stay connected here and use those tools to stack up the days :muscle:

2 Likes