Relapsed today from alcohol

I wouldve been 15 days sober today. I messed that up and relapsed. Im upset. I hate this feeling. :frowning:

5 Likes

Remember the feeling but forgive yourself and get back on the horse.

2 Likes

Don’t beat yourself up over it. Tomorrow is a new day. At least you stayed sober for two weeks!!! That’s amazing!!

1 Like

Welcome!! I had many short stents without alcohol prior to coming here. When i did i was asked what ill do differently now so i dont relapse. I began reading the lit- this naked mind, posts, big book excerpts, refuge recovery, dharma punx, dharma recovery, sober podcasts, and had real honest talks with myself my wife and a close friend about what was up.

I couldnt do it alone, but thats ok: i didnt have to.

What i did have to do alone though was decide. Decide im an alcoholic, put the stamp on me and get it over with. I already knew, shit i was already praying for sobriety every day, but every afternoon/evening i was acting like a drunk. Pretending one drink wouldnt hurt. Pretending flag day was a reason to “celebrate.” All lies. I didnt decide to be an alcoholic i suppose, but i def decided to accept that im an alcoholic and from there i could get to work!

You dont have to do it alone, but if you want it you do have to walk that line and show (not tell) that fuckin demon he’s not gettin your soul today. Just one day is a success. Then as you clothe yourself in sobriety you’ll start to learn its tricks and your weakness.

Your response to life will get better and in time your life’s situation will improve.

Check this place out, lots of good here. You can do this and you’re not alone my friend.

Welcome

6 Likes

Glad you’re here! I’ve read a lot of the seasoned folks on here mention figuring out what caused you to relapse instead of focusing on the regret about it. Turn it into a learning moment versus holding yourself in contempt about it! Every journey has good and bad steps and each one leads you to where you are currently which is here with this community. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift which is why we call it the present :heart: the beauty of your situation is the next move you make is your choice!

1 Like

Hi you can’t change it BUT learn from it, have a plan of action, meetings, exercise, hobbies etc keep coming here and posting for support and encouragement as we have all been where you are now.

1 Like

Welcome! Coming here is a great first step

1 Like

Fantastic, A+ post!

1 Like

I understand completely. I did good this past week not drinking. I binge drank last night and feel very angry and disappointed in myself. Its hard. All I can do is take one day at a time and try not to drink today. Its a vicious cycle. I just need to pick myself up again, not drink and focus on the positive things.

Welcome to TS, Art!

Jeesh I feels your pain I made it to twelve and drank for a straight week. What are some of the highs and lows of your 15 days. In my twelve I noticed my sleep was so much better and so was my appetite. Some of the lows I had were anxious, boredom and a littler irritable