Remember the shame

For anyone thinking about drinking or going back to their drug of choice, remember the shame that comes after! It can last days or longer, sometimes life depending on what you did. I am on my fourth day sober and new to the journey of admitting that I have a problem. I never want to go back and thought my horrible feelings might help someone else abstain. Shame, anxiety, and so, so tired.

21 Likes

Welcome and congrats on your 4 days. I am new to this too and am almost at 40 days. I am down today but I know it will pass. I could fill pages up with the shame I have for different events and/or actions. I just keep trying to look forward and knowing that I have my first grand baby coming soon helps. It is amazing not to have a hangover or regrets when I wake up. There is so much love here.

12 Likes

The shame is the worst…this too shall pass. Congrats on 4 days! We’re on the same milestone :blush:

10 Likes

It gets better in time if you stick it out…i thought id never get through my first few days but i did…you are an addict struggling with addiction not some monster…try and pepper your feelings of shame with being kind to yourself…the shame is what the disease wants so that it can keep you down…dont let it. You are a human being struggling with addiction give yourself some compassion and care right now because you are deserving of recovery and a better life :heart: :people_hugging:

13 Likes

Welcome Amanda! :blush:
Congrats on 4 days :tada:
Playing that tape all the way through to the end still helps me after 4+ years of being in recovery. It’s easy for me to remember the fun times drinking. My addictive brain likes to block the bad memories and that’s when I must play that tape to the end.
Wishing you the best on your journey

13 Likes

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman: :hugs:

6 Likes

Thanks so much y’all!!! I think our nervous systems and subconscious are looking for something from our DOC. Like relief from stress, courage in social situations, or to forget other negative emotions - so our brains try to convince us that our DOC is a good idea. Like a child trying to convince a parent that ice cream is good for dinner. No means no brain!

7 Likes

Oh my gosh! The anxiety. I went back to bed (thinking only for a few) and just woke up past the time I usually start working from home. Mind you, I can make my own hours as long as it’s a minimum of 30 per week. I’m having coffee and trying to train myself to stop stressing things I don’t need do! Because even if this wasn’t only day 4, I would still be stressed. I think my high stress attitude is part of why I drink. Not enough natural flexibility. And all we have is a lil 100 year life and then move on. Why stress, logically? As long as I’m trying, shouldn’t that be enough? Never seems to have been for me! I prob need counseling but that would also require insurance. So I will stick to my fellow fighters who seem to give great advice so far!

6 Likes

It is a self perpetuating and exhausting cycle. When I would start to think ‘oh, just 1 won’t hurt’, it helped me a ton to read over my list of why I quit and what drinking had brought to my life. Remembering why I quit and the reality of drinking and drugs is super important to me.

Congrats on day 4!! It gets way better, keep going!! :people_hugging::heart:

11 Likes

The shame is hard because I am the one left with the aftermath of my addiction. I am still learning to forgive myself.
Hang in there I promise it gets better.

6 Likes

Ultimately, this is what keeps me sober. I can’t count the amount of times I’ve woken up miserable and full of regrets, telling myself “That’s it! I’m done! I can’t keep doing this.” Only for those feelings to disappear by the end of the day and be right back at it. After so many years of trial and error, it was obvious to me what happens when I drink. Absolutely nothing good. I had to break this painful cycle.

Rather than dwelling and feeling shame over these regrets, I took a step back and learned to accept them. All of those things have already happened. Nothing I do now can change that. It’s completely out of my control. The only thing I can control is saying NO to the only drink that matters. The first one. To this day, when I’m faced with that decision, it isn’t hard to say no knowing what will happen if I don’t.

Coming here everyday and reading posts like this is what continually refreshes and strengthens my conviction. Welcome :pray: and thank you for sharing. We’re stronger together :muscle: Keep coming back!

8 Likes

That’s it! I’m done! I can’t keep doing this.” Only for those feelings to disappear by the end of the day and be right back at it.

It still amazes me how many times I woke up feeling like death and how quickly I was willing to put myself through it again :exploding_head:

6 Likes

Yes I have just reached 30 days like a few minutes ago and sooo happy. I have not been able to stay that strong. It has not been easy at times. I work my way through it barely at my witching hour around 5 o’clock Just playing out really what happens after the first drink. Feeling so much disappointment in myself when I wake up from it all. ashamed that alcohol beat me again. I work it day by day. It was really nice to hear someone who does not know my struggles or what I am doing say wow what have you done? Your face looks like it is glowing and rested! A woman always wants to hear something like this! :)))

7 Likes