Removing routine and temptations

Hi all, I never thought I drank excessively more often 2 pints on way home from work, more on a weekend, some wine too. I knew others that drank more so convinced myself I was average. I then listened to podcasts on Spotify of sober stories and self help about the poison that is alcohol. Very informative and a reality check. Im now day 5 sober and wanted to share that. It’s Friday and for as long as I can remember I would finish work early and go to pub. Today I didn’t. I walked past pub with my head high and felt great but the thought of a drink is there. Im finding reading other stories helpful so thanks :blush:. I guess it’s about focus, changes to lifestyle, reaping the rewards of perhaps weight loss, money saved, new hobbies… well done to all that have identified a problem with alcohol and are taking positive steps. There alot that aren’t!!

15 Likes

This is key to long term sobriety. In my journey, I tried just cutting put the booze but left everything else, and that only worked for a couple months. It wasn’t until I changed my lifestyle that I was able to get sober longer.

Congrats on 5 days! Here’s to a sober Friday!

1 Like

Thanks. Feeling good and focused :+1:

1 Like

Welcome :hugs: well done on your 5 days sober, I found the weekends harder to stay away but with alot of determination and popping on here daily to read other peoples journeys I am happy to say I’m 27 days sober today, hang in there, wishing you well :heart:

2 Likes

27 days thats great well done. What’s been your biggest struggle in that time if any?

1 Like

Thank you!! The first week was definitely the hardest but I stuck with it and went through the motions, having the sunshine around doesn’t help as my friends like to meet up in beer gardens but I have resisted temptation, so far, and bought alcohol free versions, there are so many good ones out there now. I think everyone has their own triggers mine is definitely the good weather, it’s all about figuring those triggers out and making a plan on how to work around them, hoping you have an awesome sober weekend :blush:

1 Like

I can relate to that. Have to rethink social engagements going forward .
Have a great sober wkend too!

2 Likes

Just things in life progress quicker than in others, faster we can make positive associations with sober like minded friends our routine is less distorted by the thoughts of drinking and we can get back to the living part of life, not be enslaved by the addiction of alcohol.

Your story sounds a bit similar to myself. For me breaking routine was key. I changed my route going home as to not pass my usual drinking spots and avoided any beer distributors for months after I decided to get sober. I replaced alot of my drinking with physical activity like going to the gym, walking, running hiking, etc. I still listen to a lot of sober podcasts and for me they were a huge help in realizing all rock bottoms are different and I don’t have to have dui’s, be homeless or drink daily to have a bad relationship with alcohol. Now on day 559 I feel comfortable going to those places if my friends go for a couple drinks. For me the benefits of sobriety by far outweigh the taste and effects of alcohol and the guilt and torment that come along with it. These are just some of the things that helped me along the way. I wish you the best and congratulations on 5 days sober!

1 Like

Hey thats great 559 days . That’s inspiring :clap:
And you’re right about getting to a point of being comfortable around alcohol. I think that will be the challenge but thankfully my friend is also 3 months sober so I guess non alcoholic drinks list will prove popular going forward.
I’m certainly doing more chores or work . All very positive :relaxed:

1 Like

I have a friend who did AA and was sober over a year before I quit and he was proof for me that it was possible. I now have 2 close friends who have decided to get sober over the past 6 months and its a great support system!

This will encourage you all to find other activities, passions in life rather than a bar!!