Resetting my start date

Hi,

I’m very new to this app, not new to trying to beat (or learn to live with) my addiction and stay sober.
I started drinking early and a lot and I never have known how to stop. After some struggling and therapy I managed to stay sober for almost two years… until last spring. I separated from my partner of 6 years and stopped working on my addiction. This lead to me starting to think “hmm maybe just one drink” and since then I have had some relapses in social events but this weekend I drank at home alone and started lying about it to loved ones… major guilt and shame right now but this time I am dedicated to keep updating on this app, to track my progress and maybe meet som fellow people in recovery? Tomorrow I’m also going to a meeting and I really want to stick with it this time!

28 Likes

Welcome.

Your telling my story. I have tried to moderate my drinking a billion times unsuccessfully

I use this place 24/7, AA, and spending my drinking money on healthy hobbies has been extremely helpful for me.

I listen to Chapter three of the big book of alcoholics frequently. It helps me keep it real.

.https://youtu.be/vy3bZKqLNg4

7 Likes

Hi Emma!

So happy you found us…we may live different lives, but when it come to this struggle I feel we’re all walking very similar paths…there is great insight here; lean on the community…we are here to support one another.

The hiding and secretive-ness is exhausting…I did it when I drank and I did it with Cannabis, which is why I realize I really can’t do any substance if I’m going to be honest with myself.

You can do this…the first step is being honest with yourself, and then we build up that tool box. This community has a wealth of knowledge and experience. Keep reading, keep fighting, keep rising!

You are worth this fight…so glad you’ve decided to walk with us. Again, welcome.

:blush::raised_hands:t2::sun_with_face::ocean:

3 Likes

Hey Emma ,welcome to TS, I am so happy you found us. This forum has been a huge part in helping me stay clean, so I hope you find it helps you too. All that shame and guilt is so painful but with time it starts to subside. You deserve to live a life free from the chains of addiction.
Read as much as you can here there are so many inspiring stories.
Some of us use a checking thread to help with accountability. I will link it for you, hope to see you there.
:heart:
Checking in daily to maintain focus #29

3 Likes

Welcome Emma.
Looks like some very fine people have already welcomed you and I’m grateful to be on my sober journey with them on this forum.
My best tool is gratitude. I never miss a morning posting all I’m grateful for when I’m sober. And there’s so much to be grateful for.

I hope to see you around.
You’re worth it and we can do it together. Just one day at a time.
:pray::heart::rose:

Thank you so much for the link! I will check it out :blush:

1 Like

Thank you, I read the thread and there so many things to be grateful for with sobriety!
I still feel a bit crappy today but despite waking up feeling anxious I am so grateful for waking up sober :pray:

1 Like

Thank you!
You are definitely right, the progression and deceptive thoughts of alcoholism does look very similar in us all despite very different life… in a strange way that comforts me…
I’m really happy to be here and to hear other people’s struggles and success stories :pray:

Thank you! I’m really happy to be here and to see how caring the community is!
I still feel a bit crappy and anxious today, so I will definitely take a look at the link! :cherry_blossom:

I’m also planning on going back to AA and stick with it this time

1 Like

Man that guilt and shame sucks, so I feel you. It sounds like you are determined and know what you need to do. Glad you are here. :heart:

Thank you :pray:

I looked at the links in your profile and I just wanted to say that it was super helpful to read. Your text about your recovery plan really inspired me! It was exactly the type of advice and inspiration I needed and I have started my own list of things to help me stay sober and lost of all the amazing things a life without alcohol offers me :cherry_blossom::slight_smile:

1 Like

That is great to hear. Seriously, writing and reading that list…over and over and over and over… were instrumental for me…that and being here. :heart: Glad you are feeling inspired!! I too was very inspired by the member who first shared this idea with me. Happy to pay it forward!!

тнαик уσυ fσя нσиєѕту. ι нανє тσ яєѕєт αѕ ωєℓℓ. gσσ∂ ι∂єα fσя мєєтιиgѕ, тнєу ѕυяє ∂σ нєℓρ. ѕтαт fσ¢υѕє∂ αи∂ α єѕιℓιєит- gσ∂ вℓєѕѕ

So glad you’re getting back on track. It is affirming to me as a newbie that when one uses the support of a community and meetings, they develop healthy habits to stay on track.
I am proud of you for going back to what support you know helps to get your mind and actions working together to stay sober.
Just do this day, friend.